Slow Starts

rhino

This is a topic that many people have touched on in the threads and I wanted to add an insight that seems to not have been stated yet.

For a number of users, it takes a long time for uTorrent to gain peer connections. (See http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=3539) While the conditions are always different, even for the same torrent, when 9 times out of 10 "another client" connects faster to peers resulting in a shorter time to faster total speed, there is something that needs to be diagnosed.

I've noticed that when I connect to a torrent with uTorrent, many of my connections are choked downloads - and they stay that way for some time. This is not the case with Azureus.

Before you ask - I have "Network OK" on uTorrent. I forwarded a specified port to uTorrent (but I use an un-forwarded port with Azureus, just to show that it's not a NAT problem). I also checked the guides to modify settings (with the half-open setting seeming to be the only significant one).

Keep in mind the circumstances: same computer, same router, same isp, same torrent - consistently different results.

I LOVE the small footprint of uTorrent. More programs need to be less bloated. I want to love the competitive performance of uTorrent, so I'm open to suggestions.

Since many of you have reported a similar behaviour, my theory is: I believe µTorrent may be doing this to "save" some of your bandwidth, as it gradually unchokes your connection so you won't get clogged up with 10,000+ simultaneous connections/connection attempts at once. But I have no proof for this, so... :/

Ludde should be able to tell you in detail what µTorrent is doing when it initializes a torrent. A few builds ago there was even a "connect to x amount of peers" setting, but that option has since been removed and has gone back as an internal value, since according to knowledgeable people it's better to leave it alone (default was 30 peers per minute, IINM). :|

Archived