Wireless disconnecting when torrenting

ibigfire

uTorrent 1.8 is awesome, btw. On to the problem though.

I'm on a hardwired connection but my sister is on a laptop and connecting wirelessly. For some strange reason whenever I start up uTorrent, she gets disconnected from the internet. This never used to happen, but two things have changed right before this happened. I updated to uTorrent 1.8, installing iPv6 and Teredo (not really knowing what they were entirely, but the makers of uTorrent have never let me down before, so I figured I'd give it a try) and I changed to a d-link dir-625 wireless n router. I know it's probably a setting in the router, but after a bit of research I tried turning off QoS thinking that maybe it was giving my torrents too high of a priority, but that didn't fix anything. I'm going to phone d-link, but before I go through that hassle, I wanted to make sure it wasn't anything to do with the new uTorrent. Any ideas as to what I could check next?

P.S. I also checked my firmware. It's old, but up to date.

P.S.S. Just to be clear, my connection stays awesome. Just the wireless gets buggered.

Okay... I'll sum it up then, if we're going that route. Everything on my computer appears to be working fine. Green torrents, speeds are great, green status icon, port is forwarded properly. Wheee! I really don't know exactly what you were trying to get at with that post. I read through the page. Thanks, interesting read, I guess. If you could be just slightly more specific, like link to the part of that page that you think would help, I'd really appreciate it.

I'm not torrenting on my sister's laptop, and it's the one that's getting disconnected. Weird, right? I know. That's why I'm asking for help... Anyways, must be something to do with the fact that it's on wireless, I presume. I'm trying turning off UPnP and going with plain ol' port forwarding to see if that helps. She's asleep and her laptop is in her room, so I'll get back to you tomorrow to let you know if it worked or not.

Ah. Thank you very much. I bookmarked that section in case it comes up again, but for now it seems to have been fixed by turning off UPnP. Apparently the 6** d-link routers have problems with it, sometimes. I really appreciate your help though, thank you. :)

Archived