Copy completed downloads to:

Chris Blunt

Would it be possible to have a "Copy completed downloads to:" option, as well as the existing "Move completed downloads to:"?

The reason for this is I like to continue to keep my torrents seeding in the original folder they're download to, but I'd like a copy of newly completed downloads to appear in a folder on another networked computer which I use watch them on.

Its then easy to just delete the copied file after its been watched while the original torrent continues to seed.

Chris

Interesting idea, but probably a niche feature... People sometimes have a hard enough time knowing where their space goes with torrents without having two disparate copies of the data on their drives... Perhaps you could make a junction point to access your completed files on the networked computer? Or do you not already separate (in)/complete downloads and/or the LAN link you have wouldn't work too well streaming all that data?

Perhaps a better idea is a rightclick option at each torrent in the list, saying "Copy Download to".

I also copy all downloads to a different directory, where I can sort, move, rename etc.

This could be handy. Now I have to open Explorer all the time, and find the file or folder between all the rest..

But I may be too much, to have such an option in preferences, somewhere near the current "Move completed downloads to".

That might give problems, when the location is not available. (no connection, drive not connected or full)

And if you forget about the setting, it will continue making copies, while in the meanwhile you may have changed your habits (or whatever) and don't look for these files there anymore.. That will cost a lot of space..

(And those damn drives these day's.. I recently bought one, half a Tera.. Guess what? Almost full of course. I remember buying an 1 GB drive, 10 years ago. Very satisfiying. Could not get that full. Now I need a Tera to keep feeling free. I think I'd better format myself.. Or have some slight consideration about the real use of the 1 million files, my virus scanner says it has to scan.. grinn..)

Having the "Copy to:" function as a right-click option would be nice too. I just assumed that since there's already a "Move to:" option in preferences, the additional coding work to add "Copy to:" would be fairly easy to implement.

Also, automating the copy when a download completed makes it easier to identify newly arrived files.

Chris

Perhaps you're using an older version. On the release I'm using, completed downloads are moved to the folder you specify if you enable that option. All I'm requesting is an option to retain the download in its original location instead of deleting it, in other words, copy it instead of moving it.

Chris

I understood the request ;) I still don't see the reason for it to automate any copying since you're seeding the file already. You could setup a folder to sync or something... right? Wait, no that wouldn't take into account content you've already consumed...

Perhaps you can setup a script for "perform when completed" to call ... and when the option is left as a persistent variable or currently through the drop-down you can access it fast for each torrent.

As I think you guessed, its mainly to provide a way to easily identify newly completed downloads. I download all files to one folder, and most of them remain there seeding for many weeks, even months. That folder contains several dozen torrents all seeding at the same time and its difficult to identify which of that lot are new. It would be so much more convenient to have newly completed downloads automatically appear in a separate folder where I can watch/listen to/read them and then just delete them.

Another issue is that if I'm going to do any processing of the downloads (eg burn them to a CD/DVD) I would normally make a copy of them first anyway since I don't want to alter the structure of the downloaded files/folders while they're still seeding.

Thanks for the scripting suggestion, but I'm not really sure how to go about that. I was hoping µTorrent would do the work for me. :-)

Chris

• 1 month later...

I strongly agree with the original poster's suggestion for this feature. Everyone tags their mp3s differently (or not at all), and for users like me who like to keep their music libraries organized, it is essential to be able to tag them in a uniform manner. However, it is also desirable from a community perspective to be able to do so without killing the torrent, so it becomes necessary for me to make copies of the files. I would just sort my folder of downloaded data by date, and copy the files to a new folder periodically, but that would also pick up all of the partial downloads.

The only way I can do it right now is to move them to a new folder upon completion, sort it by last modified date, and then copy all of the files in THAT folder within a date range to a new folder periodically when I want to actually tag them. That's a huge hassle that would be alleviated if uTorrent could copy them automatically when the torrent finishes. I would imagine a lot of music enthusiasts would see the value of this feature if it were implemented.

A way to move and/or copy torrents by any category we choose (tracker/label/etc), to any location we choose while updating the target torrent location in uTorrent to maintain seeding would be absolutely brilliant.

This frustrates me just about everyday, and considering the immense utility that uTorrent has in our lives at this point... it would be prudent to incorporate some more versatility in the file management aspect of the program. For sake of the BT protocol, it would improve user performance and overall contribution to their respective communities.

• 2 weeks later...

For huge torrents, it's not the best feature. When I dwl a movie of 1.4GB split in RAR files, I need to unrar it so it costs me 2x 1.4 GB of my HD (to seed & watch it).

Copy function in this case is not very good because that implies 2 copies of packed movie plus 1 copy of unpacked movie so 4.2GB just one file..

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, but I'm not talking about movies. Most people don't have a need to rename their movie files because they can't fit enough of them on their hard drive for the naming conventions to be an organizational problem.

MP3 files have ID3 tags made for customizing the song and artist data, and making those changes alters the torrent and prevents seeding... so if you want to alter the ID3 tag at all (many torrents simply don't have any ID3 info, or it's the wrong info), either you've got to make a copy, or you just can't seed it anymore. If you want to continue seeding AND you want to keep your media library organized, there just isn't any way to do it without making duplicates, and there isn't an easy way in uTorrent to automate that duplication.

Add a +1 for me, as I would like to see this option.

However, I have found a nice work around.

After I copy the data over to a different drive/machine, I go into COMPLETED DOWNLOADS in uTorrent and give it a LABEL. I just use the letter A

Then I can sort by the LABEL and see which ones I have not copied.

It is very simple to add the label, just right click in the label column and you can create a new label or select on you already have.

• 10 months later...

I'd also like this option. I use the RSS Downloader to download the latest tv shows (no tivo or sky+ for me) into a different folder for each show, but I'd also like to then copy the completed download into a "New Episodes" folder so I have easy access to the episodes I haven't watched yet, which I can then stream to my xbox and delete when done, without affecting the seeding, because the torrents will be seeding from their original download location.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add this as an option :) That'd be awesome! This would make downloading and viewing tv shows as automated as tivo or sky+.

Cheers

• 3 months later...

Copy to option would be useful for me because, me and my friends have a wireless lan network with a pc for storing movies and shows but each has its own internet access. Idea is that any time one completes a download it would copy it to the server pc and moving files might be risky sometimes, not completing the transfer can corrupt a file at both ends.

This is the scenario...

I'm using the rss downloader to automatically get the shows I want. When completed they are moved to the \\server\downloads\complete folder.

On my HTPC I'm using Mediabrowser, and on my server use another program Metabrowser to get the nice fanart and metadata for each of my tv shows. Metabrowser has a nice feature called a dropbox. Any appropriately named file dropped into this folder will be moved to the correct location, renamed and the metadata automatically retrieved. So now on the htpc you can browse and select the shows on a season\show basis with a nice fancy interface...

If I set the complete folder to be the same as the dropbox folder then the file will be moved and seeding stop.

What I really need is for utorrent to copy the file to the dropbox, so I can watch the show and keep seeding. This would make it a totally automatic process (obviouly rar files are different).

rss download => dropbox => renamed file in season\show structure and still seeding...

• 2 months later...

I agree, same sentiment about the mp3s. I would love a "copy completed" to another folder (not finished, but 100% completed and still seeding). Could then set the folder to my "Automatically Add to iTunes" (or your monitored folder of choice) and would never have to copy music manually again!

...and of course the original files will stay there and be seeded until I decide to delete them. I understand the sentiment above about people accidentally filling up their drives, but I do not ask this to be the default feature, just an option to the "move completed."

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

This would be great. I download all shows from a season and then want copy them to a dropbox folder in which my device, an android tablet has an app that auto downloads and deletes the file from dropbox leaving the file in a folder for me to use at my leisure, At this point I have to manually copy the folder to drop box after waiting it to be downloaded.

• 2 weeks later...

As a workaround you could probably accomplish this by using the Run Program feature under Advanced. I used this in the past to automatically convert MKV to AVI so I could watch them on my Xbox. Making it just copy the files instead should work too. You can even send the Label to your batch file and create logic so some items wouldn't get copied. Put the batch file in the "Run this program when a torrent finishes" box (that means when it's done downloading but it can still be seeding).

Archived