Diskio.sparse_files

HTV

I love utorrent dont get me wrong, but why there is the option diskio.sparse_files? Who needs it? Why its true as default?

My ~8GB file is now fragmented in 16179 pieces, because it was true as default, and i cant remember did i touch the setting in 1.7.7. IMO it should be renamed to something like diskio.use_fragmentation *true :P With it false fragments drop to zero if there are large enough contiguous free space on the disk.

• 7 months later...

It seems the latest version of µTorrent has this turned off my default. I don't see a good reason to have it on by default. Even high end databases like Oracle will create blocks of contiguous disk space for better disk performance and reduce fragmentation.

(If you saw my previous reply... ignore it. I misread diskio.sparse_files as bt.compact_allocation)

Sparse files shouldn't cause fragmentation unless the disk is almost full, or if there isn't enough contiguous free space on the drive for the space needed (meaning the fragmentation was already present). Physical allocation takes time -- sparse files simply reserve space in the file system without allocation, which is faster.

Edit: After a bit more reading up on sparse files, I'm beginning to doubt what I've believed about sparse files. Indeed, it does appear it may cause a lot of fragmentation...

Say you have several downloads running and one is very slow. WIth out sparse files it allocates the full disk space when the first piece is written. This can be a problem if you don't have lots of disk space.

Sparse files does accelerate disk fragmentation. Space is going to be allocated for each torrent interspersed with the others assuming you have more than one torrent downloading. I just accept that the partition I use for torrents is going to be fragmented. Torrent IO is random anyway so it doesn't effect its performance. When it is done downloading I copy it elsewhere and that gives me a de-fragmented copy.

Having a dedicated partition for torrents is also why I appreciated sparse files.

Archived