Static IP: A network cable is unplugged

Domni

I recently bought a Linkseys BEFSR41 V 4.3. I set up my static IP using the instructions here http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm. Also forwarded the port to 192.168.1.99 (DHCP range is 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.150) using this URL http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/BEFSR41-v3-v4-v5/Utorrent.htm. Utorrent's icon status went from yellow to green, and when i use the "Test if port is forwarded properly" option in Utorrent's Speedguide, it says my port is indeed open. My problem is that myself and everyone connected to the router get this "A network cable is unplugged" message every so often (doesn't seem to have one determinable causal factor) during downloading torrents, surfing the web, pretty much any time we use the net.

<<<<I'm not sure if the following is relevant but here's what happens when i try to fix this>>>>

When i log into my router there is an option under Setup//Basic Setup to enable "Static IP" versus "Obtaining an IP automatically." If i go ahead and enter my IP info here under the "Static IP" option (Static IP: 192.168.1.99, Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway 192.168.1.1, and Static DNS: 68.87.74.162, 68.87.68.162, 68.87.73.242) I get disconnected from the net (all of these numbers match the numbers that are found in Run-Command-Ipconfig /all AND the TCP/IP settings in my network connections menu. If I switch to the "Status" tab in my router's browser page while the "Static IP" option is checked and filled out with all this information(Static IP, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, DNS servers), it says: Login Type: Static IP, Internet IP Address: 192.168.1.99. Which is what i want, BUT somehow keeps me from connecting to the net.

The only way I can get my net to work is if use the "Obtain an IP automatically" option instead of the "Static IP" option. When I look back to the "Status" tab of my router's web page while "Obtain an IP automatically" is checked, I now get these listings: Login Type: DHCP, Internet IP address: 69.252.179.15(or something random just like it). This setting fixes my "A network cable is unplugged" problem, but it disables my ability to use a static IP.

Any takers? :) Thanks

>>Domni

Ya, it is set up on my comp, i tried doing it on the router too because i was getting the net problem i was talking about. The soul reason i even went into the static ip set up in my router was because a RL friend said i might have been assigned two different IP, so i was trying to make my comp and router congruent in this aspect.

IN other words, setting it up on just my comp still gives me the net problem.

Got ya. Changed router setting back to normal except for my port forwarded. As i did this i noticed that when i disable my port forwarding, the connection issue stops, any reason why port forwarding would cause my connection to drop off randomly like this?

Archived