Red torrent status icon with utorrent 1.8

TG

As said in previous posts go to settings then advanced and find net max half open change the default from 8 to 4. unless you want to bother with patching the tcpip.sys file which is another post.

so far the first option has worked for me.

I think the developers should turn this down by default if people want more connections they can edit it options themselves.

Beware for people that turn up the net max halfopen past 8 as they can make there router modem crash!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dreadwingknight et al.

You guys are hilarious with your recommendations. You're worse than the guys on the Zone Alarm forums. It can NEVER be the fault of the application can it?

How many times do I have to see recommendations to change TCP settings, alter this... change that. Reinstall Windows, etc.

Clearly... this is a problem. Yes it might not affect EVERY 1.8 user, but there is far too much evidence of people going from 1.7.7 with NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER, to 1.8 and having nothing but trouble.

It would be one thing if 1.7.7 (and/or earlier) never worked at all, but the chain of events is pretty crystal clear here.

I'm sure your various "ideas" are appreciated, but the underlying tone of "You are an idiot and you either did something wrong, or have a virus." is ludicrous. I would be willing to bet the average uTorrent user is not a computer novice in the first place.

Telling people to follow some tutorial is also silly. Again, it worked fine with 1.7.7, now it doesn't work.

If your help/fixes don't apply to this change, and this change only, then just don't bother posting.

With that being said, I am also experiencing the tracker timeout issues, and 1.8 has basically rendered my entire local network unusable while uTorrent is running.

I have to stop it, and reset my router to restore my connection. This was the same behavior that made me stop using Azereus, and 1.8 apparently is about to join that club.

No I will not post a hijack this log, because my machine is totally clean. I will not follow a tutorial to open ports and/or any other silliness because 1.7.7 worked just fine without me taking any of those steps.

If anybody has any useful suggestions (don't bother typing "get a different torrent client" either since I just beat you to that joke), I, and it sounds like quite a few other people here, would love to hear them.

P.S. devs... please fix uTorrent. It was a great client and I hope it doesn't end this way. The first release in more than half a year, and we're off to a disastrous start.

"With that being said, I am also experiencing the tracker timeout issues, and 1.8 has basically rendered my entire local network unusable while uTorrent is running.

I have to stop it, and reset my router to restore my connection. This was the same behavior that made me stop using Azereus, and 1.8 apparently is about to join that club."

If that's your problem, and Azereus does it too, then something QUITE LIKELY is wrong with your setup.

Probably not viruses...most of the people who post HijackThis! logs had conflicting commercial software. (You can easily argue that some of that conflict may be blamed on uTorrent, but that's a different argument than 'virus'.)

If you don't get a green light in uTorrent, it's due to a firewall somewhere. Whether you feel comfortable with opening ports to fix that is up to you.

Your problem may simply be the settings you're using in uTorrent don't quite match up with your connection's ability.

2nd link in my signature can probably find a better match.

...Either that or half open connection limit is too high. Microsoft likes to reset Windows' limit on that to 10 -- so you have to repatch it about every month.

Switeck,

I disagree with you because again... as is the point of this thread... 1.7.7 worked PERFECTLY. I have no idea how else to impress this fact upon you guys.

P-E-R-F-E-C-T-L-Y.

Whenever you troubleshoot something, the first step is "ok what changed since the last time it worked?"

Guess what that answer is?

Really, I already know what the problem is. None of you are the developers, so I'm not expecting you to be able to fix anything. The problem is 1.8. I know, it a bunch of other people know it, and deep down, you know it too.

My purpose of posting is to expose the issue here, and hopefully prevent people from needlessly formatting their computers, uninstalling perfectly fine antivirus programs, etc, following the "advice" being spouted on here.

Basically what a lot of it boils down to is "I have no idea what your problem is but here try a bunch of random stuff and come back and tell us what happened. At that point we'll tell you to do the other stuff you haven't yet, or to get a new router."

Please. Don't take this as an attack on anybody personally. I just see this behavior on forums a lot, and it's always from moderators and "super users" who for some reason tend to be blinded by their position and can't objectively look at problems.

Simple timeline:

1) Install 1.7.7. Everything is fantastic.

2) Install 1.8. The world falls apart.

You're right, it's probably my connection count. Christ.

Oh one more, thing. Azureus worked fine too for quite a while. Then they issued an update and I started having this problem. That was years ago. I only used that as an example of the changes that occured.

I Completely agree with you syber! Why the hell does 1.8 do this? Really you should not even need to change any settings whatsoever!

It is likely that they have changed nearly most of the code to support ipv6.

I think it personally to do with ipv6 even with it disabled.

It is the biggest feature addition to utorrent which means it has to be with new features and the coding involved with the new features and merging it with the older code which may cause the problems that we are facing.

Obviously as previously said we are reporting there is a issue!, and we are here to state to the developers to fix it, and provide updates towards the situation and its resolution and that does not consist of changing security suites or changing settings unless proven that it is something to do with windows or other not utorrent (really the program should be moulded around windows not windows moulding around utorrent) (if you get what i mean)

To the Mods Can you add the upload to the topic name as i cant change it?

So what we will be seeing is red torrent download and upload icon, only on utorrent 1.8 not 1.7.7.

Right on TG.

As I said... I'm not trying to piss anybody off. Just point out that there IS an issue for SOME people, regardless of what others might think.

I'm not against standard troubleshooting questions, but suggesting people remove other software to fix this one, is not cool at all. Especially when the programs are things of the security nature. The idea that community leaders here advocate you making yourself less secure when plenty of people are using other torrent apps in conjunction with the security suites, shows that the suite isn't the problem.

Let alone the straight forward nature of this "problem".

Even as an experienced uTorrent user, or moderator, or whatever your stature is around here... it's perfectly fine to say "Hey man, I'm not really sure what to tell you." Instead of regurgitating the same "advice" in order to fix things. How long has 1.8 been out, a week or so?

Come on. The evidence is right here in front of us. Nobody's calling the moderators idiots just because the application isn't working. I (and I hope others) understand that a) they're not the developers, and B) I'm not blaming anybody but the developers.

Even then, ultimately I'd love to be able to continue to use uTorrent, so it's not like I just want to cry about it. I'm pointing it out and I'd like a fix in the future.

It's better to ignore trolls like syber and the others who've been banned previously.

EVERY update people need to fix the "rules" their software made for uTorrent. People who have problems are USUALLY running additional software on their computers. Sure the testing period was long, and many people tested it, but it's inconceivable to expect/think that uTorrent has already been tested with ALL software which exists out there. When you search here and DON'T find your software anywhere, posting with it mentioned helps 1) log it for OTHERS with the same problem and 2) helpers guide you through troubleshooting / ideas which you may not think of.

Kristy, whatever you need to tell yourself to feel superior.

Believe me when I say I know what I'm doing with computers. On second thought, feel free not to believe me. It doesn't change the facts. I don't know what you're talking about as far as software. Even if i had every virus in the world installed on purpose, and my computer and network worked fine UNTIL i open up uTorrent, then logic dictates, uTorrent is the cause of the connectivity issues.

Switeck:

What "settings" don't work? What thread are we in? The one where the torrents time out to the tracker, which I'm sure is because when I open up uTorrent, it creams my entire network. I can't even get to my router's interface.

The fact for the 50th time is that 1.7.7 worked like a charm, and I never changed a single setting. 1.8, does not, and it seems like quite a few people agree with me.

Just say "hey man I don't know what the issue is, but I'm sorry you're having it." Instead of pulling this elitist crap. Have you seen the source code? I didn't think so. You have no more right to say it isn't uTorrent than I have to say that it is uTorrent.

Sounds like a stalemate. Remember, even if I am wrong, that doesn't make you right.

Trolling is a word that gets tossed around as soon as somebody says something you don't agree with. EVERY update I have ever received from uTorrent, I have changed absolutely nothing, and it ALWAYS worked just fine, UNTIL 1.8. Get it?

I'm actually done posting on this issue because as I said, I already know what the problem is, and since neither of you are devs you can't possibly help.

Just remember when the next version of uTorrent comes out and professes to fix these exact issues, remember that you were both tools and had people uninstalling anti-virus in a futile attempt to stumble onto a solution accidentally since you clearly have no idea what is wrong.

thelittlefire thanks for pulling that up.

I would like to expand on that.

It may be advisable for the admin to make a list of compatible security software with utorrent so people can make advised decisions on security software so that means that if people coming for help have a problem with utorrent with a compatible security software (that is configured correctly) they can eliminate as that being the source of the problem quickly move on to other things that may be causing the problem.

syber, you may want to be more specific as littlefire and Switeck said like logging it and posting it here.

As with me i have no problems at the moment :)

There are extremely bad settings combinations that maybe just maybe manage to "hold together" just barely enough to "work fine" on uTorrent v1.7.7...and crash networks on uTorrent v1.8 because it is a tiny bit more aggressive on some of its timings.

I want to know what your settings are...so I know NOT TO USE THEM!

thelittlefire sorry I didnt see your post b4 I posted my last comment I tried what you sugested and no luck same probs, Firon Thank you also for the info but I dwnloaded the highjack and it wont let me make a copy to send you on word, so dont know what to do and

I am outa Options bouta shoot it all in the @$$ thank you all for your support thou sorry it didnt help

I got the same problem yesterday. All my trackers "went offline". I have been using the same settings over a year without any problems. Upgraded to 1.8 the day it came out.

The only thing that I changed yesterday was that I installed .Net Framework 2.0 and a patch to that via Windows Update. Can that have something to do with it?

I don't have a firewall, no antivirus or anything like that.

Ok to who ever changed the title thanks heaps!

No windows updates shouldn't interfere with it unless you patched the tcpip.sys.

By the way did you change the net.max half open thing from 8 to 4?

It worked for me so far, but i am on server 03 not xp.

Okey, thanks. I just read a guide like a year ago that stated that you should set the amount higher. And since my tcpip.sys had a lower value (10) than my uTorrent settings (20) I'm guessing that is what caused my trackers to show as offline in uTorrent.

SP3 upgrading also updates/changes your TCP stack back to the default of 10 if you had previously changed it long ago.

You'll see this message as a Warning entry in the Event Viewer, the source being TCPIP.

TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

So if you use the patcher, be sure to run it again to change that to 50 or some other, if your choose.

You will have to re-patch it by going to this site and downloading again and patching again.

http://lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=tools For SP2

http://www.niharsworld.com/2008/07/30/increase-torrents-speed-change-open-tcp-connection-limit-windows-xp-sp3/ For SP3

Archived