uTorrent - either "not connectable" or "no incoming connections

winterdawn

I don't know what happened to uTorrent, but I've been using it for the past 2 years without having any problems at all. But now when I had just formatted my pc and installed uTorrent, I keep seeing this disturbing little yellow triangle(no incoming connections) or red circle (not connectable) below the download window. What is weird is that I still get to download at a relatively fast speed, ranging between 50-150kbps despite the connection problems. I have checked my firewall and allowed every possible port there is, so there is no reason that uTorrent has been blocked. Besides that, I had also disabled my firewall and the problem was not solved either.

I tried following the instructions from www.portforward.com by configuring my router, its still not working. I had also uninstalled and reinstalled uTorrent, but still no luck. I have also randomized the port and tested if the port is forwarded properly, but what I get is this message: "Checking port 57684 on 122.52.72.84...Error! Port 57684 does not appear to be open." no matter how many times I try :(

Is there any way to solve this problem? Thanks! :)

Info about my pc:

512mb RAM

Intel centrino 1.83ghz

Windows XP Pro sp2

Bullguard Internet Security

uTorrent 1.8

Linksys WRT54G wireless router

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm is there any other way than setting a static IP address? I dont want this to mess up with my internet connection that would eventually lead me to reformat my hard drive again...I have been using uTorrent for so long without the slightest connection problems, not to mention even having a static IP address at all. If this was the problem, why did it only happen now and not 2 years ago when I first used uTorrent?

thanks! :)

I don't know what happened to uTorrent, but I've been using it for the past 2 years without having any problems at all.

I think winterdawn might have something here.

I've had no problems in the last year or so since realising that my router firewall needed to be geared back to allow pinholes. I've now had problems with the red exclamation and yellow triangle for the last couple of days. I think, but have no way to be certain, that the problems started when I was prompted to update from build 11742 to 11813. That build didn't auto-update, or did not do so entirely, because a "file was in use". I downloaded directly, installed build 11813 and still have the same trouble.

I've tried everything I can think of. Port forwarding is set to UTorrent's configuration. I also tried default NAT forwarding to this internal IP and even disabled the internal soft firewall from reboot. Still no joy.

uTorrent's http://www.utorrent.com/testport.php?port= test shows the port closed. Other similar services show it open. uTorrent definitely accepts connections. Speed is OK, but now seems quite a bit slower than previously. It also uses much more bandwidth. The former could just be the particular files I'm currently downloading. The latter could be anything, including my ISP.

The most bizarre thing is that the red and yellow icons will change to the green checkmark icon and then revert inexplicably during the same session.

Does anyone have any idea what might have gone wrong?

As an aside, having scrolled through this and other posts, I think there is a good deal of confusion about static vs. dynamic addresses. Unless I've entirely misunderstood something, one does not need an EXTERNAL static IP so long as the ISP assigned external address doesn't change terribly often (eg. weeks), as mine does not do. When we're writing about static addressing, we really just mean the internal addresses, which just amounts to disabling DHCP selectively if it happens to be enabled. If this isn't accurate, I'd be very much obliged for any correction and will sign up for dyndns or the like.

I'd love to hear how someone might have gotten rid of the yellow and red icons.

Thanks to all.

mu_user

Do you have a software firewall?

Yes. ZoneAlarm Pro, but as I mentioned, that was entirely disabled during one of the tests.

Also, when setting up a static IP, it has to be outside of the router's DHCP range.

I don't understand "outside of the router's DHCP range". In any event, I dont use router DHCP. It's disabled at router level.

Also, access denied issues aren't quite related to this.

I haven't gotten any access denied messages, except for the occasional Tracker "host actively refused the connection". Should I have one?

I'd be curious why http://www.utorrent.com/testport.php?port= test gives a different result from everyone else's port scan.

Thanks again,

mu_user

So you temporarily uninstalled it? That's the only way to entirely disable it.

Yes, in this case I did, because I needed a fresh install. Too many things had shown up in the year since the last install. One can also modify the Windows registry to disable ZoneAlarm, but in this case that was not necessary. It had been uninstalled and was not there.

Why does uTorrent's test port come up with a different result from other scans?

Regards,

mu_user

------------------------------

Scan yourself if you'd like.

My public IP is 93.107.75.101. uTorrent's port is open at 33549 on 192.168.0.253. You shouldn't need the internal address since the router is now configured to forward all unsolicited requests to that address.

I don't mind. I'll change all after you're done. I'll change it anyway since I've just posted it on a public forum.

Regards,

mu_user

Umm...can anyone help me with my problem first? not to be offensive to mu_user, but I do recall that I had started this thread first, if im not mistaken :P

"You don't need to reformat to undo the static IP change."

Indeed, I might not have resorted into doing that, but I'm no expert with networking and as such, all I can do is to act within my capabilities :) However, this does not at all solve the problem I'm experiencing with uTorrent.

Can someone please help? thank you very much!

Umm...can anyone help me with my problem first? not to be offensive to mu_user, but I do recall that I had started this thread first, if im not mistaken

No worries, winterdawn. I think we're all after the same problems, about which you started the thread, and which have only very recently appeared. Why does uTorrent now show connection alerts and why do uTorrent's screens show open ports as blocked?

mu_user

Guide: Bridge mode, and PPPoA/PPPoE.

With all due respect, bridging is quite a bad idea, unless one has an accessory firewall or some network configuration with which one is comfortable and familiar. Bridging, by definition, means one disables the inherent NAT safeguards for at least one device on the network.

I didn't bridge to sort my problem. It wouldn't have sorted it, because I would never leave it like that.

mu_user

That's my signature, not advice for the current situation.

Yeah, I knew that, LMAO.

No offense.

We seem, a lot of us, to have come on this un- or marginally connected problem in the last few days and are trying to figure why we have this problem now, when we've been using uTorrent for a year or several.

Could you help us out?

Kind regards,

mu_user

a) get HijackThis from trendsecure.com, run it, view the log, and post the contents here

B) get Process Explorer from sysinternals.com, run it, Ctrl+D (to show the lower DLL pane), select the µTorrent process from the list, Ctrl+S (and save the list somewhere you'll find easily -- like the Desktop), then post the contents of the saved process list in the .txt file here

Ehhhm, no.

I'm not going to post the details and threads of all running processes on a secure computer to a public forum to try to solve why uTorrent has suddenly developed a cough.

Anything else?

My scan details are above. They're still intact.

mu_user

@GTHK: Well, I'm not exactly sure what you meant my linksys router default settings. Is that the security settings your pertaining to? or the IP address and password thing? For my wireless, I have of course set up a password and some restrictions to connections, however, nothing has been done to harm uTorrent connections as far as I'm concerned. besides, you do have a thing for the hijack and process explorer logs do you? :P the last time I recalle posting on here about uTorrent causing me BSOD, you also requested of the same thing, but never replied again :P

@mu_user: indeed, it is a problem we are both having, however under quite different circumstances as I can point out, such as the different softwares we use and your obvious knowledge about networking stuff compared to my ignorance concerning this field;) I do hope this thread turns out well, and solves both our problems. best of luck to us!

And course, someone help us pls? thanks!

I have.

There is neither injected process, nor virus, nor worm, nor adprogs, nor spyware, nor anything else there not easily explained.

The latest build of uTorrent may have a bug with port or host resolution. It MAY have such. I do not know.

mu_user

---------------------

Just of curiousity...

What injected process are you thinking of? I downloaded the latest build (whatever's above) and installed. It hasn't worked properly since then. It wouldn't be as if I'd downloaded a torrent with malicious script.

mu_user

I may have simply missed the post, or not seen anything wrong. I'm primarily the networking guy.

Post and/or edit in a moment.

mu_user: Some software likes to mess things up on update of another program. Busy helping winterdawn, will re-evaluate when able.

Archived