1.8: Lost connections with trackers after a few hours of work

al007

If the max half-open connections in uTorrent exceeds the max half-open connections specifed in tcpip.sys, then uTorrent will after a (small) time period not be capable of communicating with the tracker at all. The tracker appears to be offline to uTorrent.

Possible solution is to set max half-open in uTorrent to at least half or lower than what is specified in tcpip.sys. Standard allowed max half-open in tcpip.sys is 10. By setting max half-open in uTorrent lower than specifed in tcpip.sys allows uTorrent to successfully communicate with the tracker again when the next tracker update occurs or after a force update. Before setting the max half-open in uTorrent, it may be good to stop all queued torrents and pause all active running torrents first.

There may be some loss of statistics data for statistics data not already acknowledged by the tracker if the described problem occurs.

Hi al007! Hi Magila!

(And all of the rest of the bunch: Salam, Shalom, Holy Mary, Zdrastwoui, of whatever makes you feel good. :-)

Perhaps set HOC back to 8 again. Let it run for a while, and see what it does? Then put it back to 5, and look again. It is the only way to be sure, if this really solves the problem.

My problem was solved after setting HOC from 8 to 3, but the symptoms were different. uTorrent had short freezes. Could be from 1 to 20 seconds. That happened from every few seconds to a few minutes. But it might be a completely different problem. I never had many icons turning red due to off line status..

I have just reduced the max HOC to 4. I will report what happens. BUT My machine was already patched so my tcpip.sys allows 50 HOCs. I am using XP SP3.

Anyone know whether this is relevant? If my tcpip.sys allows 50 HOCs is this change in uTorrent really pertinent? This morning, with uTorrent's HOC value at 8, I saw lots of "offline timed out" trackers.

Hi, all. Posted this in another thread, then found this one, so reposting:

I recently did some windows xp (home ed.) updates and have noticed I'm now getting too many tcp/ip connections (Event ID 4226). I did not have this problem with 1.8 prior to the windows updates. My net max half open is set all the way down to 3 (was at 4 when I began noticing the problem) and I'd never had this issue before. Anyone know if there's a recent hotfix that could be to blame? My speeds have also gone way down when the 4226 errors occur (which is very intermittent) despite having just upgraded to a 16M/2M connection. I'm not being throttled, know that for sure. I am using Switek's suggested settings for xx/1Mbit (don't want to use up my full 2M ul speed). I have avast antivir, no software firewall, dgl 4100 router with correctly open port.

right, I understand that, but using tcpview I'm not seeing a lot of connections coming from any other applications, all from utorrent. DHT is off, only PEX is on but I'm getting UDP connections through UT. I'm also noticing a lot of established connections (through utorrent) to 124.172.243.3, which is not a peer I am connected to. This connection is being listed in tcpview under both utorrent and system protocol...

I have same problem with version 1.8 of uTorrent client.After a few hours trackers go to offline.I must say that is not problem with previous 1.7.7 version.Problems are with newer 1.8 ver.I just update from 1.7.7.The setting are same!The computer configuration is same.Operating system is same.Everything is same!I think this is very serious bug, because private trackers will ban 1.8 cause that!With uTorrent 1.7.7 NO PROBLEM!!!Halo???Whats the next philosophy?

Conclusion: The version 1.8 have a serious bug!

What to do: Fix it!

Best regards, xcss23

to alus - yes I do use RSS feeds, none of them are https though

I figured this was a windows problem since it began after some windows updates. Interested to hear what the fix is as my private torrent trackers seem to just go dead after awhile. They say they are working, but the seeds/peers that show are not accurate. Stopping all torrents, shutting down and restarting uT seems to help to a certain extent, but not for long.

Have switched to this build. Download speeds have improved greatly, however tcp limit errors still occuring and trackers still dying after awhile. Net max half open is at 3.

What do you see in "Help > Show Statistics" on the "# halfopen" line when this is occuring? What OS?

Reporting in - same problem occuring after upgrading to 1.8. No security software installed on machine in question.

max halfopen is set to 8. Show Statistics shows # halfopen as 8 when connectivity is lost. (Tried re-showing the statistics window a couple of times too. 8 every time.)

Edit: Running XP SP3.

Edit 2: Yes, plenty of Event 4226 in the eventlog right around the times of my problems.

I have the same problem as the OP. I came from 1.7.7 not having any problems, and upgraded to 1.8. At first the torrents look okay, but after a few hours all trackers get time-out errors. Obviously my stats are not registered on the tracker any more.

The only settings I change in uTorrent are the up- and download limits, and the correct port number for my router.

After reading this thread I've installed the beta. Hopefully it's corrected now. If not I'd rather switch back to 1.7.7.

Nevertheless, a brilliant bittorrent client. Keep up the great work.

Kind regards.

• 3 weeks later...

YES, I too agree! I put windows new, further utorrent 1.8 in some hours - there is a breakage of communication{connection}! Then I try{taste} too most, only I put utorrent 1.8.1 beta - there all normally! In version 1.7.7 too there was no this problem. I all over again long could not understand - why I cannot distribute anything - I leave a computer for day included and I leave - and when I come - that all arrows red.

Archived