uTorrent through VPN + Proxy: used to work, doesn't download anymore

bidou

I connect to internet using Cisco VPN. In addition, I have to configure my applications to use the proxy of my campus; otherwise I'm limited to the university's intranet.

uTorrent was working well (as long as encryption was enabled) but *something* happened and now it doesn't download anything anymore. The DHT status always remains "waiting for announce/offline (timed out)". I also have the yellow warning sign at the bottom of my screen BUT I had it when it was working.

Problem occurs with uTorrent 1.7.7 and 1.8; and Cisco VPN 5.02 and 5.03. I use Windows Vista.

Normal settings for uTorrent generate huge numbers of connections that are easy to spot, encrypted or not.

DHT makes many UDP packets, which are somewhat unusual as well...unless playing a multiplayer game or using VoIP. (There are other uses of UDP as well, but those 2 are probably the biggest.)

Lastly, running multiple torrents at once would be slightly more obvious as well.

Are there workarounds? It is possible but unlikely that they blocked it. In this case, would disabling DHT, changing port, reducing the number of simultaneous torrents, or forcing encryption help?

Also, I don't really know the meaning of all the status messages in uTorrent but I thought this could be informative: the tracker status sometimes say "working" instead of offline (more common). I do not see any peers and I can't upload to anyone either, but it always says something like:

Peers: 0 of 249 connected (201 in swarm)

I don't know what the swarm is; does it mean I see potential peers but cannot reach them?

• 1 year later...

Greetings, as I have seen there is the same subject better not to create a new thread.

I have vpn connection and I want to use the utorrent. However it doesn't download at all. Down at the program it says either DHT: Waiting to log in or has the yellow triangle. Any ideas of what I should do?

Archived