fail hash check

mikeiechan

• 5 months later...

I am using 1.8.1 and I get a lot of "PIECE XXX FAILED HASH CHECK" messages in my log. Once the download is done it is usually corrupted if it is a compressed file or if it is a video, it has many glitches. If I re-download the torrent it forces a recheck, it finds the errors and re-downloads the broken pieces. But unless I get zero Hash Check messages the download is bad. µTorrent doesn't seem to be resolving these Failed pieces automatically like the forums say it should. Am I assuming that restarting the download and over and over until all the errors are corrected is the only way to solve this ongoing issue?

uT discards and redownloads pieces with hashfails.

If the download is complete and you force a recheck, no piece is discarded (except in the case of edge pieces in multi-file torrent with skipped files) so maybe you have an hardware issue like bad sectors on your HD or RAM issues. It can be a source of corrupt data.

Did you check your HD ?

yep, it's not hardware. After digging deeper in forums and the FAQ I found a mention of using DMZ with a Dlink router. I disabled it. I've started testing and haven't had a single Failed Hash. I think that may have fixed my issues! I'll keep testing. Thank you for responding so quickly.

Also, doing the speed test and setting my speed settings to 1 notch lower than the max helped a lot with my download speeds. So I recommend disabling DMZ on any router you have. Just in case anyone else is still having Failed Hashes like I was.

Archived