1.8.1 Release Candidate 1 (build 12549)

Firon

No. But then again Im not really familiar with any of the advanced settings. Anyhow, it shouldnt happen with the default settings

Well, the problem is there was a significant amount of outstanding disk IO. So much that 10 seconds was not sufficient for it to complete. bt.graceful_shutdown waits until it has all finished, but that could take a very long time. It's a trade-off between updating fairly fast and then rechecking, vs. taking a long time to update then not needing to recheck.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you run a lot of torrents at once, utorrent basically tried to distribute connection slots equally. But if the torrents weren't using it, it wouldn't give up those slots. So you end up with torrents that can't connect to more than a few peers. That's why you saw the behavior of 1.8/1.8.1 connecting to a lot less peers than 1.7.7.

well, @200 connections' limit - yes . It reaches this exactly after a while. But @ 300 limit - no. it cannot get over ~230 connections. The strange thing is - that I put 25 as my max half open (to try speed it up... I patched it to 100), BUT - the statistics shows 0 half open (!!!) when I reach 200+ . So , unless I miss something - it simply not TRYING to find new connections... probably got tired or something ... :P

edit: (5000/3000 p/s)

I just finished setting up a FRITZ!Box WLAN 3270 Router which supports UPnP (my previous router did not) so I enabled UPnP port mapping in µTorrent (v1.8.1 b12323) and got a crash! I downloaded the uncompressed version, tried again, and got another crash:

http://rapidshare.de/files/40527994/12323-utorrent.b096.dmp

With UPnP off and manual port forwarding in the router all is well. But since the first two crashes I can delete the manual port forwards in the router, enable UPnP in µTorrent, and it works fine. However if I reboot the router µTorrent will crash again! Only the first attempt at port forwarding with UPnP after the router boots up causes the crash, but this is perfectly reproducible. If more dumps or other information will help debug please let me know.

I am running Vista Ultimate x86 SP1, so perhaps this is the famous "Vista bug"?

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: utorrent.exe

Application Version: 1.8.1.12323

Application Timestamp: 48d6d81e

Fault Module Name: hnetcfg.dll_unloaded

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a6c2

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 702ac7fa

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 0e02

Additional Information 2: b21b56b606e7544720668ce364087082

Additional Information 3: ed9f

Additional Information 4: 2119b83e2e89962308d1cebda6adacd3

Best Regards, Joe

What are your per-torrent and global connection limits? How many torrents are running?

case 1 - 200/450

case 2 - 300/450

@ 1 torrent both cases

edit:

I tried a second torrent with the same results: ~230 @ 300/450 limits . see attached ...

PS:

Will it be possible for you, guys, to make the statistics dialog dynamic, in way that the counters will while it's visible ?

65878453af4.th.pngthpix.gif

I just finished setting up a FRITZ!Box WLAN 3270 Router which supports UPnP (my previous router did not) so I enabled UPnP port mapping in µTorrent (v1.8.1 b12323) and got a crash! I downloaded the uncompressed version, tried again, and got another crash:

Best Regards, Joe

Indeed, this dump is a "Vista bug" crash. See "Fault Module Name: hnetcfg.dll_unloaded" there as well.

alus wrote:
jsillup wrote:

Best Regards, Joe

Indeed, this dump is a "Vista bug" crash. See "Fault Module Name: hnetcfg.dll_unloaded" there as well.

I also have UPnP enabled on my router and also in uTorrent. Could this be related? I could try disabling UPnP in the router and in uTorrent and see if it happens again.

As a matter of fact I've always considered my router to be full of bugs. It sometimes goes nuts and stops responding at all until I hardreset the whole thing, sometimes it just refuses all wireless connections, maybe it does something wild that kills hnetcfg.dll in Vista.

Update

Thar she blows!

http://www.mediafire.com/?zgyqzwxgymm

I'll try turning off UPnP now.

Feature request: Peers tab: Show percentage of download peer has which you don't have.

Not simply your percentage-peers percentage, but compare pieces you and peer have and tell how many don't overlap. For instance I could have 80 % and a peer 20 % this 20 % could consist of pieces that I already have or don't have, when there is a 10 % overlap show 10 %, couldn't think of a name myself, maybe you guys could.

Maybe you could also make uTorrent give priority to the peers that have a higher percentage compared to the user.

; shought

As I said, I can reliably reproduce this "Vista bug" crash simply by rebooting my router then starting µTorrent with UPnP port mapping enabled, so if there is anything further I can do to help you debug I will be happy to help.

Interesting finding jsillup, gLes! We may find a work around for this yet!

Yo - thanks, jsillup! Alus already sent me some links to older versions I could test but I couldn't reproduce the bug reliably.

This sounds as if it might have something to do with UPnP which is very probable since I started using UPnP in uTorrent a while ago after I got bored of opening ports on my router as I added computers to my home network.

I'll disable UPnP and go back to old-school port forwarding and report back if this fixed the issue. If that is the case you'll not only be much closer to pinpointing the problem but also have a temporary workaround.

P.S. I also checked that I have NAT-PMP port mapping enabled which, AFAIK, is only useful for certain routers, especially ones manufactured by Apple.

On a related note - with UPnP turned off uTorren (the latest beta) hasn't crashed ONCE and it has been turned on the whole day, it's been inactive and both downloading and seeding torrents. Virtually all scenarios were tested and I think jsillup has directly found a workaround.

Now it begs the question if that's a Vista bug, a UPnP bug, a router bug, a uTorrent bug?

Archived