1.8.1 Release Candidate 1 (build 12549)

Firon

@alus,

This build of µTorrent runs without any problem when started with UPnP port mapping enabled after my router reboots: utorrent-1.8-alpha-7399.exe

But this build crashes the first time started with UPnP on after my router reboots: utorrent-1.8-alpha-7400.exe

Crash dump is here: http://rapidshare.de/files/40531742/7398-utorrent.b34b.dmp

Vista problem report:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: uTorrent.exe

Application Version: 1.8.0.7398

Application Timestamp: 47803b85

Fault Module Name: hnetcfg.dll_unloaded

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a6c2

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 714ec7fa

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 0e02

Additional Information 2: b21b56b606e7544720668ce364087082

Additional Information 3: ed9f

Additional Information 4: 2119b83e2e89962308d1cebda6adacd3

I see no difference between logged UPnP messages in either builds, and the router sets the UPnP port forwards correctly for both builds. Note that the crash only happens the first time Build 7400 is started after a router reboot, restarts after that crash run without problem until I reboot my router again.

AVM FRITZ!Box routers are popular in Germany and the one I just got is their best non-VoIP 300Mbit WLAN model, but I doubt you can get it in the USA to use for debug so I will do whatever I can to help you from here.

Best Regards, Joe

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a completely different router (and with custom firmware to boot!) and experience the same crashes so it might not be router related. And yes, UPnP SEEMED to work correctly (that is, the ports were opened) as well.

Now I know how to reproduce the bug - I don't have to REBOOT the router - I just need to close the ports uTorrent opened with UPnP. uTorrent apparently crashes each time it tries to set UPnP (or do sth. with it, dunno) - both on the router and, uhm, through Vista - the first time and ever after. Once the ports are set the program can apparently function normally until the next time it "tries to do something".

It might very well be a bug in the Vista UPnP API - perhaps uTorrent uses some functions correctly but the OS handles them in a non-documented or simply buggy way.

I have a completely different router (and with custom firmware to boot!) and experience the same crashes so it might not be router related. And yes, UPnP SEEMED to work correctly (that is, the ports were opened) as well.

Now I know how to reproduce the bug - I don't have to REBOOT the router - I just need to close the ports uTorrent opened with UPnP. uTorrent apparently crashes each time it tries to set UPnP (or do sth. with it, dunno) - both on the router and, uhm, through Vista - the first time and ever after. Once the ports are set the program can apparently function normally until the next time it "tries to do something".

It might very well be a bug in the Vista UPnP API - perhaps uTorrent uses some functions correctly but the OS handles them in a non-documented or simply buggy way.

Fantastic! Can you narrow down the build where it started?

@alus,

Neither of the test builds you sent me crash. Both open ports in my router with UPnP. But neither connects to any peers, even after deleting my µTorrent firewall rule and making a new one. UPnP message logging says that they cannot get external IP, if that matters.

Regards, Joe

By the way - jsillup managed to pinpoint the first "problematic" release more precisely than I - I can just confirm that quite a few early alphas of 1.8 were working fine (with UPnP) and some later betas were not. I am also 99% sure that this MUST have something to do with UPnP now since I've been running the latest public beta (downloaded from the site) for 2 days without it crashing after I disabled UPnP - it crashed A LOT before.

Sorry, I don't remember how to do quote boxes here, and I no longer get a quote button.

Switeck wrote,

"You may need to uninstall Sygate Personal Firewall at least to rule it out as a cause of your problems. (Reinstall it as needed/wanted after done.)

I'm running Win 98SE on a computer here, and uTorrent v1.8.1 beta build 12285 runs here."

Thank you, but my system is too sick to dare that. Just turning it off and on again makes me nervous. I'd rather stick with an earlier release of µTorrent. Of course, if someone would cover all my responsibilities for a few weeks I'd actually update my OS, but that's going to remain a dream.

uT's crashing frequently upon system overload.

Usually goes 100% CPU and after a minute is crashing. Sometimes there is a dump, some times there's not. uT's in background. Happens at least once a day.

The crashes started a couple of 1.8.1 builds back. Unfortunately I've ignored them so far.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=504fd215c2617f98d2db6fb9a8902bda

My findings:

I downloaded utorrent-1.8-beta-7132 (earliest version on the list), utorrent-1.8-beta-7235 (last version on the list) and of course 7210 and 7211 to confirm jsillup's findings.

The results are a bit "strange". None of the versions you provided, or rather I tested, crashed BUT none of them managed to open the proper port on my router using UPnP either...

Update: Ignore all of the above. I see now that I will have to reboot my router between UPnP "deletions" as well (it's a security measure so that the same ports aren't re-opened after removing them manually). I'm re-testing the builds.

P.S. It's still worth noting that the builds DIDN'T crash when they were unable to open the ports.

MAJOR UPDATE!

Now I followed jsillup's test procedure to the point (deleting UPnP ports and rebooting the router - note that it's a COMPLETELY different device with COMPLETELY different software).

utorrent-1.8-beta-7132 - no crash

utorrent-1.8-beta-7210 - no crash

---------

utorrent-1.8-beta-7211 - crash

utorrent-1.8-beta-7235 - crash

YAY! Results! We managed to reproduce the bug quite precisely! On different routers and even different Vista versions since I'm running a 32-bit system! :-D

Different setup, same results, it couldn't get more awesome than that - do you guys think you can pinpoint the bug now?

For good measure I'm attaching the memory dumps of the last two crashes (despite their names the first one is from the exe numbered 7211 and the second one is from the exe numbered 7235 - as the devs you'll know better anyway ^^).

7184-utorrent_110a.dmp (105 KB)

7230-utorrent_b708.dmp (120 KB)

Just to make you (and myself) happy I'm also pasting in the (Polish) error logs from the syslog.

Nazwa dziennika:ApplicationŹródło:        Application ErrorData:          2008-09-25 02:30:19Identyfikator zdarzenia:1000Kategoria zadania:(100)Poziom:        BłądSłowa kluczowe:KlasycznyUżytkownik:    Nie dotyczyKomputer:      ARTOpis:Aplikacja powodująca błąd utorrent-1.8-beta-7211.upx.exe, wersja 1.8.0.7184, sygnatura czasowa 0x48d9e98c, moduł powodujący błąd hnetcfg.dll_unloaded, wersja 0.0.0.0, sygnatura czasowa 0x4791a6c2, kod wyjątku 0xc0000005, przesunięcie błędu 0x7104c7fa, identyfikator procesu 0xedc, godzina rozpoczęcia aplikacji 0x01c91ea5de4b89b6.Kod XML zdarzenia:<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">  <System>    <Provider Name="Application Error" />    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>    <Level>2</Level>    <Task>100</Task>    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-09-25T00:30:19.000Z" />    <EventRecordID>16615</EventRecordID>    <Channel>Application</Channel>    <Computer>ART</Computer>    <Security />  </System>  <EventData>    <Data>utorrent-1.8-beta-7211.upx.exe</Data>    <Data>1.8.0.7184</Data>    <Data>48d9e98c</Data>    <Data>hnetcfg.dll_unloaded</Data>    <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>    <Data>4791a6c2</Data>    <Data>c0000005</Data>    <Data>7104c7fa</Data>    <Data>edc</Data>    <Data>01c91ea5de4b89b6</Data>  </EventData></Event>
Nazwa dziennika:ApplicationŹródło:        Application ErrorData:          2008-09-25 02:38:42Identyfikator zdarzenia:1000Kategoria zadania:(100)Poziom:        BłądSłowa kluczowe:KlasycznyUżytkownik:    Nie dotyczyKomputer:      ARTOpis:Aplikacja powodująca błąd utorrent-1.8-beta-7235.upx.exe, wersja 1.8.0.7230, sygnatura czasowa 0x48d9ed41, moduł powodujący błąd hnetcfg.dll_unloaded, wersja 0.0.0.0, sygnatura czasowa 0x4791a6c2, kod wyjątku 0xc0000005, przesunięcie błędu 0x7060c7fa, identyfikator procesu 0x9ec, godzina rozpoczęcia aplikacji 0x01c91ea70d1b86e6.Kod XML zdarzenia:<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">  <System>    <Provider Name="Application Error" />    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>    <Level>2</Level>    <Task>100</Task>    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-09-25T00:38:42.000Z" />    <EventRecordID>16616</EventRecordID>    <Channel>Application</Channel>    <Computer>ART</Computer>    <Security />  </System>  <EventData>    <Data>utorrent-1.8-beta-7235.upx.exe</Data>    <Data>1.8.0.7230</Data>    <Data>48d9ed41</Data>    <Data>hnetcfg.dll_unloaded</Data>    <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>    <Data>4791a6c2</Data>    <Data>c0000005</Data>    <Data>7060c7fa</Data>    <Data>9ec</Data>    <Data>01c91ea70d1b86e6</Data>  </EventData></Event>

BUG: The old "freeze" bug that I've written about before is back (or never left since some earlier version of 1.8). I'm convinced it's the exact same thing as discussed in this older thread and fixed, at that time, by Choi.

Essentially: When uTorrent is commanded to delete a torrent AND data, it will freeze up solid for a length of time determinant upon a number of variables, with processor speed, connection speed, and number of trackers in the torrent all playing a part. The freeze time will range from hardly noticeable to a few seconds up to several minutes. This will occur even if the torrent is stopped and has been for a long time, and even if it has never download or allocated anything on the destination drive (i.e., it's not an I/O problem, but something to do with having a seizure while waiting for trackers to disconnect...or least that's what I recall from the old discussion).

i m using uncompressed build but dint dint get any error log its just stuck and gave me error windows ran out of memory unable to allocate 16900 bytes. and on beta builds it stucks when speed goes around 10MBps server is fine it dont crashs or anything just utorrent is stuck and i have to use task manager to end the process and start it again but after starting again it will stuck again when speed goes high so any solution for me ? most of releases i tried r having same problem the above i mentioned and when i start it after quiting it from task manager i rechecks the data and if i downloaded 1.5gb i shows only some 200-300mbs and starts downloading again so please look out or tell me how to get dump report i will upload it

Archived