1.8.1 Release Candidate 1 (build 12549)

Firon

At best right now, I'd see an advantage in trying possibly-local peers first...simply because almost regardless of the torrent swarm size, it is extremely unlikely that there's enough local peers to hit typical global or per-torrent max connections using them alone. And that is even using my reduced limits for lower-end connections. Too many are likely long-dead, firewalled/unconnectible, have nothing you need, or just plain running with terrible settings. (1 KB/sec upload anyone?)

A few ISPs have an unstated policy of throttling BitTorrent uploads to ips not on the same ISP. You'd likely not even notice so long as a couple same-ISP ips were present on a torrent swarm.

But having said all this, I don't see it worthwhile to go to any great trouble to find local peers or same ISP peers (which often aren't really "local" topology-wise) because quite frankly ISPs have been very unhelpful in that task. Most are unwilling to release ip ranges, and they're completely hostile to revealing any topology information.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Updated to 1.8.1 build 12132 after a few hours trackers show 0 seeds, but uT says all are seeding. I tried to update tracker and it says "updating" for a long time and then goes back to "working" I have net.max_halfopen set to 3. If I restart uTorrent the trackers start showing that I'm seeding again.

Updated to 1.8.1 build 12132 after a few hours trackers show 0 seeds, but uT says all are seeding. I tried to update tracker and it says "updating" for a long time and then goes back to "working" I have net.max_halfopen set to 3. If I restart uTorrent the trackers start showing that I'm seeding again.

Same Here also trackers dont see me either

--- 2008-09-09: Version 1.8.1 beta (build 12132)

- Fix: crash with udp:// URLs

any hope for UDP tracker support? :|

Probably not. The UDP tracker protocol is not particularly flexible. I would like to have a good UDP tracker protocol in the future, but tracker operators seem to be happy with TCP as long as the implementation is good. I've heard opentracker performs well.

Correction, 1.8.1B hangs with the 'updating in' column saying "updating" and never coming back. Restart fixes problem for a couple hours.

When this happens, try stopping all your torrents and waiting for a bit - like 10 minutes. After that, what does it say in Help > Show Statistics for "# half-open"? Does it work after that?

I don't see it worthwhile to go to any great trouble to find local peers or same ISP peers (which often aren't really "local" topology-wise)

Being one of the user of such (i.e giving extra local transfers) ISP I can only confirm that.

My ISP and many other local ISP's are connected here to the MAN backbone, having total thousands of users and "free" (unlimited) transfers between them but it's impossible to discover and categorize them as "local" automatically - because all the "local" IPs do not belong to the same IP (sub)ranges, they do not belong to the same name (sub)domains neither.

If there is something could be done, then it's implementing manual possibility of adding IP ranges utorrent should classify as "local" - that is trying to connect them as first and making the upload to them unlimited (most prefferably in similar way as we can declare banned IP ranges today). Of course where we get these ranges from is another problem, but that's something user would have to worry about. True, ISPs do not publicize their IP ranges (or "free" transfer ranges) even if they exist but is there any reason to do so today? It may change however if utorrent adds such support of local peers list.

BT, Inc. already tried working with Comcast... that didn't go over so well. Hopefully BEP22 will start the ball rolling. Maybe in 3-5 years :P

Hey now, I would not say anything other than "Since we announced our relationship in March, we've continued to work closely with Comcast and their technical team. In fact, we have been in discussions with Comcast for over two years about how to re-architect their network in order to optimize for media delivery. Comcast has made a a commitment to make their network management protocol agnostic as well as upgrade broadband speeds for both downstream and upstream traffic. We will optimize our application to take advantage of their network upgrades and share those techniques with the broader Internet community."

Comcast idea of network management is to enforce 250GB monthly cap for residential users.

On a different note, uPnP seems to be resolving IPs backwards.

If my IP is 10.0.0.102 - it appears in the log as 102.0.0.10. So, I am not able to port forward properly since µTorrent sending a request to the router that does not exist on the local network.

[2008-09-10 15:51:20] NOTE: Settings file found in directory of executable; using that.

[2008-09-10 16:06:15] UPnP: Unable to map port 102.0.0.10:36562 with UPnP.

On a different note, uPnP seems to be resolving IPs backwards.

If my IP is 10.0.0.102 - it appears in the log as 102.0.0.10. So, I am not able to port forward properly since µTorrent sending a request to the router that does not exist on the local network.

[2008-09-10 15:51:20] NOTE: Settings file found in directory of executable; using that.

[2008-09-10 16:06:15] UPnP: Unable to map port 102.0.0.10:36562 with UPnP.

Fixed, thanks!

TraderJones wrote:

----------------------------

Same thing here with beta 12154 :(

When this happens, try stopping all your torrents and waiting for a bit - like 10 minutes. After that, what does it say in Help > Show Statistics for "# half-open"?

It says -1 (0 connecting). Before stopping all torrents it was -1 (8 connecting).

Does it work after that?

No. Works after restart.

When this happens, try stopping all your torrents and waiting for a bit - like 10 minutes. After that, what does it say in Help > Show Statistics for "# half-open"? Does it work after that?

Tried this, within 2 hours the torrents started hanging on the updating process. Stopping all torrents and waiting 10 minutes made no difference the Statistics for half-open show half open: 0 (3 connecting) This was checked when the torrents starting hanging, again 10 minutes after stopping all torrents and then again after starting all torrents. When the torrents were restarted they still eventually reach "seeding" status even though the "Update In" column on the tracker tab never changes from updating. Checking on the tracker side I'm not listed as a seeder for any of my torrents after the 10 minute restart.

Closing uTorrent and restarting works for a while. Moving back to 1.7.7 until this behavior is resolved.

Hope this helps.

PS. I updated to the latest beta before testing.

Archived