1.8.1 Release Candidate 1 (build 12549)

Firon

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did some additional experimenting after I saw the other persons response above mine.

Stopped all torrents for about 30 mins, statistics finally dropped from 3/3 to 1/1 half open. still bounced around a bit.

settings, 25 max active torrents.

Started 50 torrents, checked the half open over the next half hour ranged from 1/1-3/3. After 30 mins was still not 0/0. The tracker showed me seeding/connecting on 48 torrents, stopping and starting the two torrents then showed 50 seeds. None of these torrents became active during the testing, all were showing as Seeding in uTorrent and the updating appeared to work (ie no hang with "Updating" message).

Started about 100 more torrents, after all were in seeding mode the tracker showed that I was not connectible on 5 of them. Stopping and restarting these 5 resulted in being shown as seeding/connectible. Periodically checked the half/open over the next 2 hours, ranged from 1/0 to 3/3, at the end of 2 hours was still recognized as seeding by the tracker.

Started 200 more torrents, after all showed seeding in uTorrent, tracker showed 3 as not connecting, restarting these three resulted in tracker showing as seeding. Same result as above over the next hour.

I will continue to start about 100 torrents every 2 or 3 hours until uTorrent "hangs" during the update process and let you know the results. (Any torrent that became "active" during the testing was stopped to try to minimize variables).

My problems is gone now, i did the TCP ip patch to allow 256 half open connections and have net.max_halfopen in Utorrent set at 150. No problems with "updating" and loss of connection to the tracker anymore.

earlier it took ages for every torrent to update, or it just failed, Now it is really fast.

Oh, and my speed problems i have had is gone, Much easier to get full speed of the torrents now than earlier.

Im at at tracker where i am seeding alot of torrents, but only 10-20 are used at once, but i have over 500 Torrents in utorrent. and thats why it stalls as hell if i have only 3 halfopen connections, it times out all the time.

My connection speed is 50/10.

right now i have 257 Connections

17 half open and 85 connecting.

(this has been MUCH higher some times)

Everything is running SMOOTHLY since yesterday. Earlier i have had plenty of problems.

Maybe this will not work for everyone, but for ME it feels like a dream.

And my speed problems, I am guessing it has been really slow to connect to the peers earlier. Now it can connect to more peers much faster.

Edit: Increasing half open, does not increase you internet speed of course, what I was trying to say is that it is able to connect to the peers faster. Earlier at low half open, it took forever before i reached my connection limit, now it only takes like 10-15 sec.

If it only takes 10-15 seconds to roughly reach your global connection max in uTorrent, then you probably set half open max WAY TOO HIGH!

Reducing your current half open max value to half should make uTorrent take twice as long as currently to reach global connection max. So that'd be 20-30 seconds. How much downloading and upload could potentially be "lost" in the extra 10-15 seconds...versus the amount of bandwidth used attempting all those half open connections? My bet, you're LOSING speed.

The problem before has as i said before, been that it didnt even connected to the tracker, time out and so on. Maybe it would work better with lower settings, but it works perfectly smooth at my end now. I have no problems at all that i have noticed so far

Oh, bad english of me, it wasnt my max global connection i was talking about, it was my internet speed. earlier it had to wait to connect to all peers, making it take (sometimes minutes) to connect to the amount of peers that i would be able to reach my maximum download speed. Now it connects very fast.

I dont say this is the best setting, it problably aint. But it works perfectly fine and no time outs. and web surfing works as fast as before, so no bottleneck there either.

I will stick to this setting. reducing half open to 3 as you always have been suggesting to people is no choice for me, it only makes everything worse for me.

I guess this is because most people dont have hundreds of active torrents, and everyone with maybe around 50 torrents it works perfectly fine with 3.

Morning update. By late last evening I had all torrents back in seeding mode. The statistics for half open stay pretty much 1 or 2 with almost always 3 connecting. The tracker still sees me as seeding all torrents. It appears that the problem may only occur when I start uTorrent and it's trying to update all the torrents at once? Not sure how much this helps but if I start 100-200 torrents at a time over a few hours the "lockup" during updating did not happen.

After lunch I checked on this and the torrents had begun hanging in "updating" mode. The stats for half open were showing 0/3 connecting and the number of torrents the tracker was seeing as seeded began dropping steadily. Stopped all torrents for about 20 minutes, half open returned to 1/1 - 1/2 and I was able to begin starting torrents again.

It definately seems to be tied to the number of torrents trying to update.

DreadWingKnight blurted:

The problem will come back again and again as long as this setting is set THIS FUCKING STUPIDLY HIGH.

You know, people really don't benefit from a jackass like you swearing at them like a moron.

150 really isn't high. 65535 is high, but still fully allowed by Windows (and was in fact the default value not that long back). 10 is chokingly low - that is well established. The patches for TCPIP.SYS all originally appeared when XPSP2 came out and imposed that limit. Under normal computing circumstances with multiple applications doing multiple things and only 10 half-open spots, Windows started generating huge amounts of 4226 events (not 4662). The patches came along to halt those errors by giving back the half-open breathing room to the applications. A perfectly valid and useful way to increase the productivity of one's system and eliminate a huge number of logged errors.

Higher half-open limits do not get better transfer speeds; however, they do allow µtorrent to acquire sources faster. If someone's running a lot of torrents and wants to connect to their sources 150 at a time instead of 8, there's nothing wrong with that reasoning. In the end it may not make much of a difference, but some people like every little bit that they can get and faster connection and commencement is just like people who tweak their computer boot-up times: It doesn't make a difference in the end with how fast they can get their work done, but it's nice to be able to start up quicker.

And so what if Microsoft updates TCPIP.SYS from time to time? There are a host of tools that can reset the limit in 10 seconds. By my count, TCPIP.SYS has only received 3 updates in more than the last 2 years. No reason to not change the limit for me I'm afraid.

You know, people really don't benefit from a jackass like you swearing at them like a moron.

I only swear at people like they are morons when they demonstrate that they are behaving like morons.

Also, see my forum title.

By my count, TCPIP.SYS has only received 3 updates in more than the last 2 years.

And other un-patching every other week.

10 is chokingly low - that is well established.

Not really, I run at 4 and get as good speeds as I would at 150.

uthappyuser said: "It doesn't make a difference in the end with how fast they can get their work done, but it's nice to be able to start up quicker."

uTorrent running with 150 half open connections at once is very high.

Were it just making lightweight TCP connections with no additional overheads, it would still be high.

But the BitTorrent handshaking process coupled also possibly with encryption detection+use...means that's a lot less upload and download that could've been sent actually downloading and uploading torrents.

People see less than stellar download speed AND/OR "web lag"...so they reduce upload speed often without thinking about the causes or effects.

If you're not firewalled and on a public torrent and especially if you have peer exchange and/or DHT enabled...then even 8 half open connection limit in uTorrent is more than enough.

If you REALLY want connecting faster at start, set half open higher for a minute when uTorrent first starts a torrent...then lower it. Best of both worlds.

@Switeck: maybe uTorrent can be configured to do that automatically for us ? we can configure two values for this max, one to be used until about 95% of max peers # per torrent was reached, then it will switch to the lower one... like gears ... :)

OK - time for me to register on the forums. :-P

The release of uTorrent 1.8 was a sad day for me since it started crashing and hasn't ceased to do so up until now.

I read all the possible fixes and workarounds, I scanned my computer for viruses and malware.

Yes, I used Nod32 but i added uTorrent to the list of exceptions and it keeps crashing even when I turn off Nod32 anyway... :-\

The funny thing is that it never crashes while downloading, only when I'm seeding...

Perhaps this memory dump of the uncompressed version will help?

12183-utorrent_2d99.dmp (97 KB)

P.S. I'm using one of the tcpip.sys cracks... Could this be the cause of the problem? It seems to be working fine...

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/01/07/cracktcpipsys-driver-for-vista-sp1-v668-to-patch-tcpipsys-60600117052/

Archived