1.8.1 Release Candidate 1 (build 12549)

Firon

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm seeing the occasional tracker stuck in "updating" mode again, even when half open connections are set to 1-8. The trackers aren't timing out as best I can tell either. :(

I don't know if the trackers are even being contacted.

"[<ERROR>]:62001" in peer lists are unresolved IPv6 addresses. I get them all the time. It's a new feature that only first appeared in uTorrent v1.8 -- that they don't resolve suggests you don't have IPv6 support on your computer.

Did a quick scan through the first couple o hundred torrents this AM and all are working properly. Connection counts on all trackers look good, so I'm not having the updating issue yet. Checked the stats and it's finally showing less than 25 connecting on the half open count which makes me feel a little better.

@LittleMember, yes I'm sure about the peer connection issue, I've had several other users on the main tracker I use test this as well as myself. With 1.7.7 uploads and downloads on popular torrents connect to 3x as many seeders and leechers as with 1.8 and 1.8.1. Even on less popular torrents we rarely see more than 1 or 2 peers out of 5-10 with 1.8x, but with 1.7.7 we get all but the non-connectible peers. It's very obvious and easy to check.

@LittleMember, yes I'm sure about the peer connection issue, I've had several other users on the main tracker I use test this as well as myself. With 1.7.7 uploads and downloads on popular torrents connect to 3x as many seeders and leechers as with 1.8 and 1.8.1. Even on less popular torrents we rarely see more than 1 or 2 peers out of 5-10 with 1.8x, but with 1.7.7 we get all but the non-connectible peers. It's very obvious and easy to check.

Can you send me this torrent?

because I never saw the numbers in the () differ even by 1 from the numbers reported from the tracker(s). Just unlucky me ? ...

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/157/99259837rd1.th.png

Oh, the numbers in () are a maximum of the scrape data and the internal peer list that uTorrent has. Since we can't know all the peers that come from the tracker, it's impossible to know whether that scrape count includes the peers you found on the DHT.

Waste of resources to keep track of a peer's "source," especially when a peer might come from multiple trackers, and you could potentially have tens of thousands of peers in all of your peers lists. µTorrent can't simply add peer counts because it can't assume all trackers contain distinct peers.

We don't actually get all the peers that the tracker has - the scrape count is an opaque number, so somewhere in there might be the peers that were found through the DHT.

In the peer list the "Flags" column says 'H' is the peer was found through the DHT, 'X' if it was found through PEX, 'L' if is was found through LSD, 'I' if it was incoming. Otherwise, it was found through the tracker.

I think build 12183 have peer list bug. Sometimes I'm getting strings like "[<ERROR>]:62001" between normal addresses when I copy a peer list from Peers tab. Early builds doesn't have such <ERROR>s in lists.

Means you have an IPv6 address in your peerlist and you're either on Windows 9x/ME or don't have IPv6 support installed.

I think there's a bug or something on a newest version :/. I had to install 1.8.0 back because download speed was only something like a 30 kb/s (now 1.8.0 it's 800kb/s).

edit: hmm.. a bit more details, I think ;)

Ok, so I don't think that it's because my computer. I've 1.8.1 for a long time and never before it hadn't have any problem. But Today it wouldn't start to load any torrent at all.

But no, no proxy, it's my home PC. And ISP... Well, OK, this ISP totally (I mean Totally) sucks, but I don't believe that it would block just 1.8.1 torrent ;) (it's not on a list of ISP that blocks torrents). Now on a 1.8.0 and everything works perfectly :). And the problem was, (repeat, repeat...) that it just wouldn't start to load anything ;/.

@alus,

Alus, I tested this on multiple (larger) torrents on a private tracker. I even went so far as to reboot the computer between installations of 1.7.7 and 1.8.1B to make sure there was no local caching on the machine for peer addresses. It's a private tracker and all torrents have the private flag set and DHT, PEX, etc are disabled in my settings.

Regardless of the torrent, I see more peers with 1.7.7 than with 1.8 or 1.8.1B. Roughly 2/3s of the seeders and leechers do not connect or appear in the peer tab. Doesn't seem to matter what client they have, I did try to watch to see if it was more common with one client/version or another, but no real trending there.

I'm not sure what I can supply that would help, please let me know if you think of anything.

It seems I am still getting 1 'ghost' half open connection. Sorry I have no log of it happening. :(

Started logging though...

All I have is a Peer List...but if I had to guess, I'd wager this ip isn't "good" on account of its port address: 83.63.175.128:0

I'm seeing if I can't induce more ghost half open connections now.

Seems not on my various tries...I guess that's good.

I stopped the torrent that had the 1 ghost half open connection and restarted it. This seems to clear the ghost half open connection instantly.

My half open limit has been set at 0 most of the time. I then raised half open to 8, then 20, then 30...waited for half open used to fall below 30...then set half open max back to 0.

The ghost half open did not reappear.

Whatever is still causing it...is bloody rare.

Did the same thing again...no ghost.

Saw this though:

[2008-09-18 12:21:52] 83.63.175.128:0: Connecting: source: TI

[2008-09-18 12:21:52] 83.63.175.128:0: Disconnect: Peer error: Error 10049

Log continuing to run...

@alus,

Alus, I tested this on multiple (larger) torrents on a private tracker. I even went so far as to reboot the computer between installations of 1.7.7 and 1.8.1B to make sure there was no local caching on the machine for peer addresses. It's a private tracker and all torrents have the private flag set and DHT, PEX, etc are disabled in my settings.

Regardless of the torrent, I see more peers with 1.7.7 than with 1.8 or 1.8.1B. Roughly 2/3s of the seeders and leechers do not connect or appear in the peer tab. Doesn't seem to matter what client they have, I did try to watch to see if it was more common with one client/version or another, but no real trending there.

I'm not sure what I can supply that would help, please let me know if you think of anything.

Rebooting will not clear the peer cache, you have to remove the "peers6" key from that torrent in resume.dat (use the Bencode Editor http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=31306 but remember to remove the ".fileguard" key).

Can you reproduce this with only 1 torrent loaded in uTorrent? Can you send me a torrent that does this?

It seems I am still getting 1 'ghost' half open connection. Sorry I have no log of it happening. :(

Started logging though...

[2008-09-18 12:21:52] 83.63.175.128:0: Connecting: source: TI

[2008-09-18 12:21:52] 83.63.175.128:0: Disconnect: Peer error: Error 10049

10049 is WSAEADDRNOTAVAIL - "The requested address is not valid in its context.", which is correct.

Does the ghost halfopen start after that? You could add a peer with a bogus IP and a 0 port manually to see.

Archived