uTorrent speed indications (graph, etc.)

spyder

Hi.

How accurate are the up- and down-speed indications at, e.g., the top left of the uTorrent UI? (And, of course, the speed graph facility.)

I ask because two independent traffic indicators (Netmeter and UD Meter) both show the speeds associated with my present torrent activity to be typically around 20% higher than are indicated by uTorrent.

It's difficult to 'catch' the figures exactly, having to swap one's eyes back and forth twixt displays, and I haven't tried starting a torrent from cold to compare average figures and totals over any period: my observationsare based on instant, live readings as they are presented.

I'm aware of, and have taken account of, the KiB v KB options in the traffic meters.

This wouldn't bother me unduly if it were not for the scheduling I have set in uT to avoid traffic management caps that my ISP will apply should I exceed set amounts of traffic during certain periods.

So - which do I trust: uTorrent, or the third party meters?

Regards,

s.

Hi.

Thanks for the responses.

That makes sense: that uT should indicate the actual torrent up and down speeds only - that being what one is mainly interested in while torrenting.

I cannot try the net.calc_overhead feature - I spent an unhappy afternoon mending my PC after trying to install v.1.8, and, for now, am sticking with 1.7.7. until I work out what the problem was.

Meanwhile, I will make appropriate adjustment to my scheduler settings.

Thanks again.

s.

Archived