Unable to get uTorrent Working With New Connection

WolfMarauder

Hello. I have recently moved, and am using an entirely new internet configuration and ISP. Ever since it has been activated, uTorrent doesn't work.

I am not a computer savvy person, and have no idea what's wrong. There appear to be several inconsistencies about the problems here. My setup uses no router, just a wireless modem, yet uTorrent tells me my ports aren't forwarded properly. I may be wrong, but don't modems not even use ports?

Windows tells me I have a Norton firewall active, but I don't see how that's possible, as I don't have any Symantec/Norton software remaining on my computer, according to my program list. Plus, even if it were active, it never caused a problem on my old config.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

One of the steps in the configuration procedure was to set up a static IP. The algorithm linked me here: http://portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm.

I recorded the numbers correctly, but upon activating the static IP, the internet merely stopped working.

UPDATE: Well, this is interesting. I changed the number of the port in uTorrent itself, and now the torrent is doing well, although uTorrent still says the port is not forwarded.

Win XP or Vista? What numbers did you use for setup? What numbers do you have in Start > Run > IPCONFIG /all and what numbers did you try? Try finding the modems DHCP range in the settings, and make sure you use an address outside of it.

Link to the modem setup page?

XP. Which numbers are you referring to? IP address was 192.168.0.12, changed it to .122 as directed in the instructions. Subnet Mask was 255.255.255.0. Gateway was 192.168.0.1. DNS were 66.75.100.63 and .64. Not sure what you mean about the DHCP thing, I didn't see anything about that in the instructions. Modem setup page: http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netgear/CG814WGv2/Utorrent.htm

Do you use only one computer on it? If so you might get away with not using a static address (if the D-Link port forwards correctly). Go through the options on the modem till you see crap about a DHCP server, and the option to enter either a range, or a starting address plus number of clients.

Archived