Connecting to peers

I got a question - how does uT decide what peers will it connect to? I decreased the peers per torrent limit a bit and was wondering about it - it would suck if the fast ones get skipped because of a limit. How does it work then?

One thing connected to this I don't understand. I've been downloading this huge torrent for over two weeks now. Recently I started to get great speeds from one peer who appeared shortly ago. He started at maybe 20% total while I was around 70 and now within two days is ahead of me. The statistics show he is permanently downloading at about 400+kB/s. I don't get it. Why is he getting such speeds and if he wasn't around, I'd be getting maybe 20kB/s? I must add I can squeeze 500ish kB/s from my line under good circumstances.

Perhaps he got lucky and found fast peers who happened to have upload slots available for him at the time he connected. Besides that, as you've noticed, the peer has a very capable connection, so he is able to upload very quickly. Because BitTorrent is built around the concept of tit-for-tat, the more you upload, the more likely you'll download quickly as well, as more peers would prefer to reciprocate to someone who's uploaded a lot to them.

Hm, I don't know really. It shouldn't be lower than 4 unless I screwed up something in the settings.

I might try lifting all upload limits for sometime to see what'd happen.

But ever since I noticed him on this 90GB torrent (when he was at about 30%), he downloads at average 400kB/s - that is if I can trust the "peer dl column (how does that work anyway?).

Archived