Speed Wizard and Connection Type

YtseJam

I'm either thick minded or that list doesn't make much sense...

I've followed the speed test and it says my download speed is "214.286 kilo bytes per second (or 1714.286kbps)"

However, in the list I am to choose my connection type which goes like xx/number. I'm not quite sure what to choose as the result is not explicity represented in the dropdown list...

What does the xx and number represent exactly?

Logicaly, one would look for a number that looks like its result, but also it is usually download/upload speed and if number is indeed upload speed, what good is that test? It gave me my download speed...

Help... :)

(perhaps it would be wise to match the options more to what people might get in tests?)

Huh, using a different test server, it did indeed show both upload and download...

Is it possible for the wizard to have an "autopilot" mode where is finds out the current connection settings by poking around in the OS networking settings? Or are those settings don't exist per se locally?

From the IRC channel

[3:09:00pm] <@Firon> rafi: because 300 connections on a 96kbit upload is insane, eats a ton of bandwidth (TCP and BT overhead anyone?), and will make things slower

He's nailed it.

Protocol overhead makes using 300 connections on that upload setting rather impractical, especially as download speeds increase, since BT protocol overhead would grow faster on a 300 peer connection torrent than on a 30-45 peer connection torrent.

Is it possible for the wizard to have an "autopilot" mode where is finds out the current connection settings by poking around in the OS networking settings? Or are those settings don't exist per se locally?

Well, I believe they exist to a degree some of the time, but they are nowhere near reliable enough for use in such a feature.

You can find out the sync speed with a dial-up modem by looking at the status page for the connection. Some USB broadband modems provide a similar feature. However, if you're connected through a router or through an "ethernet modem", you'll probably get a speed reading of 100Mbit or better, through wireless 10Mbit or better, which makes it highly unreliable seeing as a large proportion of people are connected in this manner.

Having said that, I don't particularly like speed tests, either. They aren't very reliable, especially when you have lots of users accessing them at once (ie. new µT users :P).

Archived