Local Network bittorrent use?

Elements

Hi,

I have a wireless network running at home, with one server with a hdd for storage of movies, music etc... At the moment, when i want to move something from my desktop to the servers shared hdd, i just copy-paste it within explorer. The problem is that I sometimes have connection problems or so and as soon as something goes wrong, explorer stops moving the file. Also, the transfer rates aren't that great (about 200 kb/s). Now i was thinking, is it possible to install a bittorrent client on my server too, and then set it up this way that when i want to move something, i "upload" on my desktop, and then the bittorrent client on the server "downloads" it on its own hdd. (That way, suddenly signal lost or such things wouldn't be a problem because it justs starts downloading again after it's got the signal again.) Everything should stay in the local network, dough, because i'm limited with internet bandwith volume, speed is better I think directly on my wifi network then over a whole bunch of things on the web, and i like to "stream it with the bittorrent protocol" It's possible for 2 computers over the internet, so i taught it should be possible on my local network too. I don't have that much of experience yet (my first post), so if anyone has an idea, please explain it detailled.

My desktop runs on win Vista (but i have Ubuntu installed too)

the server is currently win server 2k3

I am both admin for the server and the network/router, so changing settings or so isn"t a problem.

Yes, it's possible, and some users do use BitTorrent to do this. The only hiccup here is that whenever you want to transfer files, you'll need to generate the .torrent file in the server... Don't add a public tracker, and make the torrent private, then load it in both the server and client, and the rest should be straightforward. You might also want to unlimit local peer bandwidth in Preferences > BitTorrent.

Archived