New µ-torrent

Yogirajj

Ever since I've upgraded to 1.8, ALL my upload speeds suffer. I have CableVision's Boost service (similar to FiOS). I have 30MBps down, and 2 MBps up. CableVision told me I don't have any caps on my account. I used a site tester to see if I'm throttled, it found no indication I was. I've set my firewall to allow all µ-torrents. I am not using a router. I also used the speed guide, and still no difference. I've gone from 200-300 kb/ps (with 1.7.7), to 50-60 kb/ps (with 1.8).

Do you think it's possible it's the leeches I am connected too? Maybe the issue is not my connection, but the connection of each individual peer?? Or how the new µ-torrent is handling older clients I am connected too? Or maybe leeches are downloading, many other files at the same time?? I am stumped...

Like I said, my connection is 30 MB down, and 2MB up/fiber Optic Hi-Speed. At fist I was only seeding 2 files. About 6-7 peers for each. But strangely enough, after I sent this post, my uploads started to improve. It randomly gone up about 120-150 kb/ps. I think it was the peers I was connecting too. I'll keep watching it and see what happens later..

14ecinp.jpg

287pyfk.jpg

Yes I have. I've used about 3 web speed testers, and they all came back with a little more than 2 MB. Some of those web speed testers, measure speed differently though. I've learned that the hard way.

One thing I did not think about is, how many peers that are connected to me, are being throttled, how many peers that may actually be on dial-up or DSL... Or how many peers are downloading a bunch of other stuff. Which would explain why a couple of hours later my upload improved. I love torrents, but I had no idea how many variables are there to think about...

µ-torrent is the first torrent software I've ever used, and the only torrent software I still currently use. One thing I really love about µ-torrent is, there never seems to be a strain among other torrents, in other words, there is always a constant stream between all torrents, without hogging down my system, or web surfing.

Sorry, missed that little bit. To be sure, you are getting the green network status light, and the Speed Guide's port tester is showing the port to be open, right?

Anyhow, those torrents you're running have very few peers. Indeed, as you suspect, it might be an issue with the torrents you're running.

Yes, everything is what it should be. You see, I've been uploading @ a particular speed for so long, that it just accrued to me......... I was focusing so much, on what the upload numbers are on the top pane, that I did not think too pay attention to the peers on the bottom pane.

At that moment in time, 7 peers existed, 4 peers available. However only 1 out of 4 peers was actually downloading. Thats what was giving me the low numbers. That single peer, could have been downloading 20 other torrents at the same time; thats what could have gave me the 19kb/ps.

I am finally starting to understand what some of these numbers mean, and how to apply them real time. This is the hardest thing for me to get used to. I'm used to using applications with steady streams. Torrents are unpredictable, and there are many things, that can effect a download/upload.

Yeah, even if your ISP doesn't cripple BitTorrent all to heck...other people's ISPs certainly do. :(

...And they try to run uTorrent anyway. :P

2nd link in my signature gives alternate settings for uTorrent.

Either 1, 1.5, or even 2 megabits/second settings should be ok for your line.

Do note that even my guide gives pretty high max connections at those speeds...and your networking hardware and/or software may not be able to handle it. :(

Archived