Download speed problem - help requested

dmhaight

Hi all,

I recently had to reinstall Windows XP on my PC, and I then went through the process of reinstalling all my software, including uTorrent. I downloaded the latest version (1.8), and have been experiencing an issue with downloading torrents ever since. I went through the FAQs, speed test, and various hints I've seen on this board, but so far nothing's been able to help.

The problem is that when I first open up the uTorrent application, the torrent I'm trying to download seems to work fine for the first 10-20 seconds, then the download speed drops to less than 10kB, and the % done is essentially frozen.

Any suggestions???

1st and 2nd link in my signature.

1st one is for troubleshooting, and tells you what information you'll need to give us if the problem isn't solved quickly.

2nd link gives suggested settings for uTorrent based on your max sustainable UPLOAD speed.

NOTE: Max sustainable UPLOAD speed is far less than max download speed for most connections.

You may want to use lower settings than your connection can handle because it is shared with others or due to monthly bandwidth quotas.

Hi Ultima, I went through the troubleshooting guide, and followed most of the steps outlined there including changing the upload rate to 186, the number of connections (750,100,8), enabling the protocol encryption, checking the peer.lazy.bitfield = true, making sure the windows firewall exception is in place (checked in uTorrent and in the firewall settings), max active torrents/downloads = 9/8. I also tested the port forwarding, which came back with a positive result, and ran the speed test on DSLreports, which initially came up with download = 1256kb and upload = 345kb, but now it's significantly lower (download = 490kb, upload = 132 kb). What is the latency number btw? The current one reads 144ms, but the earlier one read higher.

My computer is using Windows XP, and I'm running the internet on an AT&T Yahoo 2 Wire DSL wireless card. Also of note is that for some reason I don't seem to have Internet Explorer on my PC anymore -- I'm access the internet through the AT&T Yahoo icon/link.

Does that help with a specific diagnosis??? Please advise.

Firstly, I am not Ultima...I just have a link to his troubleshooting guide in my signature.

Secondly, I am seriously doubting the settings you chose match your connection's upload speed.

Do you ever see uTorrent's upload speed to peers reach and sustain 186 KiloBYTES/second...for minutes on end?

Speed tests for your connection should be run when EVERYTHING else is stopped.

The 256 kilobits/second upload settings in 2nd link of my signature are similar (but lower global and per-torrent connection max) to uTorrent's Speed Guide (CTRL+G) xx/256k settings. If you are sharing the connection, it is much friendlier to others to use fewer connections at once...and you're more likely to be uploading to those uploading to you that way too, which increases tit-for-tat behavior in BitTorrent.

Archived