Jump to content

All Downloads Completely Stop


Recommended Posts

Every time I start a download with utorrent it will go fine for a while. Usually 30 min- an hour and then all downloads will completely stop. My internet will no longer work but my wireless monitor will still say I am connected to the network. If I disconnect and reconnect it I won't be able to but the network will still show up in range. The only way for me to fix it is to restart the router but this is becoming quite a hassle.

I am using a Belkin F5D7231-4 router and a Netgear MA101 Wireless Adaptor. I have forwarded the port correctly and like I said, everything will go just fine for a good while and I am not having any trouble with my download speed. My connection to the internet just completely stops. Also when i go to reset my router the little light with the uplink symbol is off. I have tried limiting my download speed down to 220kb/s and my max connections to 40 with no success. Any help or ideas to try would be greatly appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

High half open connections also murder Belkin routers and wireless links.

Seems you've got both. :(

Turn off DHT (both kinds).

Disable Local Peer Discovery.

If you've manually port forwarded your router, or don't have a router, Disable UPnP in µTorrent.

Disable Resolve IPs under the Peers Window. (That's expensive window-dressing considering it doesn't help download+upload speeds any.)

Reduce half open connection max to maybe 1-4. (You're not firewalled in µTorrent, right? ...so it shouldn't hurt as much as you might think!)

Disable resolve country flags in advanced.

The 2nd link in my signature gives suggested settings for uTorrent based on your max sustainable UPLOAD speed.

I'd need to know the speeds of your connection before I could suggest appropriate values.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the response. Im testing with all those settings disabled right now. Also the I just did a speed test and the results were 1141 Kb/s download and 272 Kb/s upload.

Edit: Ok just tested it and after going good for about 40 minutes I had to restart my router again. I had set my max half open connections to 4 so im going to try 2 now. Any other suggestions?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...


Hope u dont mind me hijacking this thread

Im having exact same problem althou Im not using wireless, I changed all settings to the suggested (I'm having around 320kb upload on 6mbit connection) except prolly for the "half open connections". So heres the big noob question, what is that,or where is that in options? :o

Oh ye,I didnt turn off any of those options yet either,they,hum.. sound kinda important.

Its kinda strange thou,it was working fine since I updated for 1.8 and all of the sudden starts jamming my Internet. I even got a pretty impressive (for me) 3xxkb/s download

Thx in advance

Link to comment
Share on other sites

advanced settings, net.max_halfopen = half open connection limit in uTorrent.

That's how many new outgoing connections to be constantly attempting at once in uTorrent.

The default is 8, any more will cause Win XP/Vista problems unless you've hacked it.

There is really no need to set half open connection limit higher than 8, as incoming connections don't count against that limit...nor do existing+completed connections.

It's only when an attempt is being made but before the other end responds that the connection is half open.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...