Snail Speed

voyagerxp

I have been using utorrent 1.7.7 for ages and have no problems but i updated to 1.8 and now my download speed is only between 11 and 12 kbs. I never change anything in utorrent only where my files are to go, today i did a system format and installed utorrent 1.8 and yet again snail speed downloads so i took 1.8 off and installed 1.7.7 back on and my dl speed shot back up. Is there a bug in the new version or is there something i must set.

If you set your upload speed really low, your download speed is reduced by uTorrent and you'll see DOWNLOAD LIMITED either at the bottom left of uTorrent's window or on the torrent's general tab.

It's an anti-leech feature.

It only occurs at <6 KiloBYTES/second upload for global or <4 KiloBYTES/second on an individual torrent.

Even if you don't have it limited, it seems to also be some sort of proportion of download upload and what upload compared to what you can get.

I was just seeking the forums because I was getting very low download speeds compared to the ones I got in 1.7.x.

Been playing with DHT, checking if port forwarding was right and so on and no changes (Note: When updated to 1.8 instead of the usual just getting shut down and restarting of old I got the full fledged install set of dialogs, too). So I now realize I'm not sure if it kept my upload/download limits from old; I think it got to unlimited instead.

Seeing the speed setting from the homepage, the tab by the FAQ, I reset the Speed Guide Setting according to the speed test results from the first link.

That was like 300 or 500 (haven't taken note of it) down and 92 up. And it kept being slow. One at 15K/s and the other around 25 (when in 1.7 the same torrent, I reloaded to compare same torrent, it was up to 80 with lows at 60 and peaks at 100). I then lowered down to 100 and up to 40. Speeds went up to pre 1.8. If I increase then download to 50 it seems to go back down to slow speeds (a bit less slow that at first but slow, if I put it back to 40 speed again goes up. Increasing download then to 120 keeps fast and so seems to be fast at 140, but if I raise it to 150 it agains goes slower, though not much.

So that's something you may want to play with, setting different down and up limits

4x seems to be the top it reaches.

EDIT - Ooh! I just found I missed a link. I have the 4226 message about the limiting connections. Vista Home Premium SP1. Guess no wrong if I install the part that is linked in http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/02/17/download-vista-tcpipsys-and-uac-auto-patcher-to-increase-tcp-connection-limit/. And then do the steps in http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/04/09/windows-vista-tcpipsys-connection-limit-patch-for-event-id-4226/.

However that's not been an issue before 1.8. So I may well leave things as they are, since now they work just fine so why risk doing something wrong with that, eh?. :)

Thanks for the help

If you're getting 4226 error messages, you need to either patch windows, reduce uTorrent's half open limit or BOTH. At some point, windows networking can just lock if you don't. :(

4x upload speed equals about 384 kilobits/second upload settings in my 2nd link.

Got the patch thing, but I've seen it requires to press F8 every start, so I just am not in mood to want to do that. Though you never know.

Will do the second, reduce µTorrent's.

So, for others reading:

1- http://half-open.com/download_en.htm for patcher that will let me know what's my windows limit (since I don't find the info in the web)

2 - µTorrent's options->preferences->advanced->net.max_halfopen

Hmm... duh, the first program tells me it's not extracted, though I've done such. So I'm not trusting the 10 it gives. µTorrent's set at 8 and I have Vista Home premium SP1

First attempt with 4. Will post again when I confirm if 4226 repeats or not

I'll upldate.

Making that down to 2 makes the 4226 warning to disappear.

However, once the download is set to 100-140k/s limit and upload to 40, the half open doesn't really do anything. I honestly have the perception that is irrelevant.

The torrent I'm redownloading seems to go as fast as before 1.8.

Other is not going bad, just a bit slowish (tops of 30 when other can go up to 120, though the new has many peers and seeds too).

And there is another with thousand of peers, hundreds of seeder and only a few hundreds and some tens, respectively connect into swarm and only one seeder and like ten peers and it barely reaches 1k/s (though this last attempt I've not kept it even a minute to give time to get started).

Surely matter of the torrent, though in the page some report speeds of up to 400k/s. Some are lucky and some aren't, for some reason.

I call my speed problem solved. :)

So I'll wait 1.8.1 to be stable release, afterall :D

There seems to be a LOT of people who set their global or per-torrent upload speed to 1 KiloBYTE/second.

Or they set upload slots per torrent high and also try to download many torrents at once. So if someone is uploading at 100 KiloBYTES/second, but has 20 torrents active with 10 upload slots each...their average upload speed to someone else is 0.5 KiloBYTES/second. Reducing their upload slots to 2 or 3 and stopping a few torrents would probably give them a big download speed increase as well as being friendlier to others...but most people don't know that!

Archived