Download speed scaling with upload(if upload is slow download is slow)

kruger5

My download speed pretty much doesn't go up unless I seed a lot.

If my upload speed is 1 kb/s my download speed won't go higher then 15kb/s and if I put my upload speed to 30kb/s my download will go up to 60 kb/s but not much higher.

This happens with pretty much every torrent. I tried the slackware and openoffice torrents with 1kb/s upload and they didn't go over 11kb/s but when I put the upload to 30kb/s it went over 60kb/s download then stopped.

I tried this guide : http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=34259

I tried ultima's troubleshooting guide.

Nothing works.

And this is definitely not a port/firewall/antivirus problem, all ports are forwarded, when I try the test it also says the ports are forwarded and there is a green light beneath the µtorrent program.

My upload connection is 350kb/s, so you want me to try and upload at 220 kb/s ?

Btw as I understand it there is an anti-leech feature so 1kb/s won't work either way but even if I put it above the number used for the anti-leech feature it still is slow.

Well I tried it but my upload speed didn't go much higher then 25kb/s and nothing really changed about my downloads.

You may be confusing kilobits/second bandwidth measurements for KiloBYTES/second file transfer speeds.

If your upload connection's bandwidth measurement is 350 kilobits/second...then the upload speed that's 60-70% of that is 26-31 KiloBYTES/second.

Since you tested 25 KiloBYTES/second, it may be the case that your other settings in uTorrent are bad for your connection.

So, what are the settings you're using as shown by Speed Guide (CTRL+G) in uTorrent?

Upload limit: 35

Upload slots: 4

connections(torrent): 40

connections(max): 90

active torrents: 5

active downloads: 5

Those are the settings from the guide in your sig, which I use atm(except active torrent/download)

If I use the speedguide though my max connections will go to 230.

If you're constantly running 5 torrents at once, your average upload speed to others is only 1.75 KiloBYTES/second. That's what others see of you.

With 5 active torrents, you need to reduce upload slots to 2 or 3. And you're still being a little unfair with others on those torrents.

Even my settings at 384 kilobits/second don't quite give 3 KiloBYTES/second per upload slot, so that's a tad low too! But people insist on running more torrents than their connection can really share fairly...

I don't recommend uTorrent's regular Speed Guide values for max connections. There is TOO much marginal "consumer" networking hardware and software that folds up and dies once you have over 100 connections.

My bad, you mean the upload speed is really low too?

It could be your ISP has started disrupting BitTorrent traffic.

Or do you just have bad seeds and peers on those 2 torrents?

Check the PEERS window of uTorrent for each torrent.

Are you uploading typically to 3 or 4 peers at a time?

Are they uploading back to you?

Are you getting typically 50% as much back from peers as you're giving them?

Are the seeds mostly ignoring you...or uploading slowly to you when they DO send you anything?

I don't think the upload speed is slow, I'm only worried about the download speed.

My ISP is not the problem, I did the test and it said everything was fine.

Yes I'm uploading to about 4 peers, most are uploading back to me, I'm also downloading from peers that are not uploading to me and once in a while I'm uploading to peers that don't give me anything or not much. I'm pretty much getting the same amount as I'm uploading(not per peer but all in total). 30kB/s upload, 30kB/s download. Once in a while I'll download more then I upload but it's rare.

Yeah, i have the same problem.My upload speed is 20 kB/s (the thing uTorrent shows anyway) and my download is 100 kB/s.I can't upload at full speed because then my download speed is getting lower and i can't do anything else(like navigate to a website etc).So if i run 4 torrents i put the upload speed to 3 per torrent without affecting my download speed(in uTorrent 1.7.7).But now i can download only with 30 kB/s when i set the upload to 3 kB/s.Even if i set the upload to unlimited i can't get my max download speed or do anything else.That's just so lame.Isn't there any solution for this?

Yeah, that's what i'm saying Switeck.That's why i set my upload speed per torrent at 3 kB/s.I just have to keep seeding more days but without affecting my download speed.That's why this "download speed scaling with upload" thing should be corrected in uTorrent.I am not a leecher myself.I am a member in a good number of private trackers and my ratio is more than 2.0 in all of them.Well, if there is no solution i'll revert back to 1.7.7 like others did :)

My global upload max is at unlimited.I just set the limit from the properties of each torrent because i might have to upload more than 3-4 kB/s to specific torrents.Anyway the point is that it shouldn't be such a fuction in uTorrent from the begining.The user should choose the limitations of it's client or at least have the option to change them.

If you allow too many torrents at once and use a low Global upload speed max, uTorrent also restricts upload slots per torrent to 1 regardless of what you set it to.

Each upload slot should be capable of uploading at 2 KiloBYTES/second OR MORE.

So if you have 5 active torrents and 4 upload slots per torrent, you'd need at least 40 KiloBYTES/second upload speed for each upload slot to get 2 KiloBYTES/second.

Archived