Automaticly locate torrent-files.

dosky

Ok, before you judge me by telling me that I can make backup of the files in %appdata%\uTorrent, I can tell you that I had a systemcrash that made me loose all information within µTorrent.

For some reason, all .torrent-files where to be found in the folder, but I don't want to add the files one-by-one for more seeding.

The only thing I am hoping for is that I can, someway or another, add two or more torrent-files into a little tool that can locate where the files are. I don't care if it would take time, I'm just a little tired of adding them one-by-one.

The possibilities could be to relocate and add all files in %appdata%\uTorrent for further seed, and maybe locate a bunch of files you got stored in another folder after a systemcrash like mine.

I know that µT want's to stay minimalistic, but won't there be a way to make a tool that could do this out-of-the-box?

I mean, if µT uses a file for what torrent to use towards a preselected file or folder, the file could be opened with this little tool and be fixed with the new files you want to add. Like closing µT for a short ammount of time while checking the torrent-files you've added, then you select what you want to do with the located files and then close the tool for re-opening µT again.

Hope this could be discussed a bit before you do something about it -- because I know I'm not the only one that could need this feature.

- Yours sincerely dosky.

• 1 month later...

I think it is possible.

The tool would checksum/hash/... on a download folder and then match the hashes to torrents. This would even work if the files had been spread across many directories.

Not sure this should be a uTorrent feature but would be more suited as a separate utility.

I need a way to re-add all of my torrents whenever I do a windows reinstall (backup my AppData uTorrent folder?) or like now when I'm trying to switch from Azureus

µTorrent could "tag" using alternate data streams downloaded files with the source torrent information. Using ADS would only work NTFS volumes (and therefore on >nt4, not 9x), and would probably be a lot of effort.

Although there are probably some other more useful features that could be using the same infrastructure.

You could just check the second piece of each file to find a match? Smaller files maybe are less important because they are always the easiest to get again? Then after starting the torrent it could be verified. I can't believe this wouldn't be possible. I've looked into the torrent file format a little but I'm no expert. (Yet...)

Archived