ISP throttling through DSL modem now?

judagrmn

I ran the Glasnot tests using the sticky thread in this forum and it came back that my ISP (Qwest) is not throttling and infact passed all tests. Up until a week ago I was using a 2wire 2700HG-D until a power surge screwed it up. The Qwest rep said he would upgrade me free to a nicer 2wire 2701HG-D for free and informed me the 2700 was garbage and infact it was the 2nd one that had the same problem for me. The new modem looks nicer and I see increased response time but while downloading torrents, it seemed to reset itself every couple min. I googled the problem and found others with the same issue. Solutions from others were to lower my max global connections to 100 and then check stability. If stable keep adding 20 til it was still stable. Well even at 100 global it still reset my internet. Tried 20 less and it still reset. I have used BT for over 4 years now and have never had this problem. I am beginning to think that Qwest is using firmware in their modems to block BT traffic. My ports are opened and i get the Green light but losing connection every couple min is annoying. Can anyone recommend a better modem I can purchase without any kind of block?

what was happening with the OLD modem is it was completely resetting as if you hit the power switch off and on again. with the new modem I have, it doesn't actually reset completely to where all the lights flash and it goes through the sequence to find connections. it only resets the internet light off and takes up to a minute to re-establish connection although the modem didn't act as if it powered off (only happens while downloading torrents). from what I read is that there are too many incoming global connections to the modem and recommendation was to lower the max. global connections which I have but its still resetting even at 80 global connections.

2nd link in my signature gives suggested settings for uTorrent based on your max sustainable UPLOAD speed.

NOTE: Max sustainable UPLOAD speed is far less than max download speed for most connections.

You'll almost certainly need to do this:

Turn off DHT (both kinds).

Disable Local Peer Discovery. (next to DHT)

Disable Resolve IPs under the Peers Window. (That's expensive window-dressing considering it doesn't help download+upload speeds any.)

Reduce half open connection max to maybe 1-4. (You're not firewalled in µTorrent, right? ...so it shouldn't hurt as much as you might think!)

Disable resolve country flags in advanced.

If you've manually port forwarded your router, or don't have a router, Disable UPnP in µTorrent.

Switek,

I double checked and everything is set up exactly as mentioned. I decided to try a torrent with over 1000 seeds and having my max global connections set at 80 again, I watched how many peers connected before it reset. Right at 80. I set it to 75 and it was stable for the rest of the download but my download speeds suffered a couple hundred kb/s. looks like I am stuck with this modem unless I want to buy one somewhere else because according to qwest, this is the only modem they offer which sounds like garbage.

Do note that while you're running torrents with high peers+seeds (such as 1000+) that your ip address is probably being tried by 4-50 peers/seeds PER SECOND.

Your download speed is far more likely to suffer low speeds from setting your upload speed low (like less than 10 KiloBYTES/second PER torrent) than from low global connections. Even 20 connections per torrent is often enough to get ok downloads speeds -- typically equaling or beating your upload speeds.

Archived