Does uTorrent re-check all hashes after a crash?

Azelza

Hi,

I was downloading a couple hundred torrents, when it became very hot in the room and my computer bluescreened.

After re-starting uTorrent, it has gone through a process of "Checked 0%" .. "Checked 100%" on each Torrent.

Does this mean with 100% certainty that it will check every single piece downloaded so far's hash and find if anything was corrupted during the crash?

I want to know if I can be confident about the recovery, or if I should throw out the 100GB and start them all over again.

- A

It's not a recovery, it's a check for corrupted data, and you can be confident in a passing torrent. I'm not sure but I think torrents that don't need checking since they weren't being downloaded at the time of the crash wont be checked.

Dear Firon,

Regarding what you said about it checking all data:

I have one concern. When I restarted uTorrent, 80 torrents had to go through the checking 0 to 100% process... however...

The *moment* I started uTorrent, 20 torrents were Downloading immediately. And they were things already at 50%, 30%, 91%, etc.. And they did not go through the checking process at all. They're not tiny files or anything so it couldn't have happened so quickly I didn't see. I mean immediately after I open, there they go, no check.

What could have caused this such that uTorrent didn't check those ones?

- A

1.8 has fast_resume which does a check from basically the "last good configuration" if you're familiar with the F8 windows bootup screen... When you close uTorrent correctly with in-progress data, it saves the data, and when you close uTorrent incorrectly it can run from that in-progress data... though it must be immediately after a good shutdown. The few times I've killed uTorrent.exe unexpectedly, the rechecking procedure didn't last NEARLY as long on 1.8 :D

Archived