Question about Global maximum number of connections

jcd29

In some sites I've seen it says you should have it below 200 always, but the guide I found here (this one: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=3912) says it should be your upload bandwidth in kb/s. Which in my case is 384 kbps now.

As a sidenote, I'm a bit confused..the guide I used before helped me, I had my global maximum number of connections at 250, Maximum number of connected peers per torrent at 90, and upload slots at 4, with a 256 kbps upload speed. But now that I upgraded to a 384kbps upload speed, I started looking for that guide and couldn't find it. So I don't know how I got those values in the first place, but they worked pretty damn well! :D

So anyway, which would be the correct amount to put with a 384kbps upload? I left the number of connected peers at 90, too, and the upload slots at 5 now.

My Speed Guide chart (2nd link in my signature) suggests only 90 Global connections and 40 per torrent.

For most torrents, my settings are just as good as uTorrent's own Speed Guide...sometimes a little better because you're not trying to share with so many peers at once.

But there are a rare few torrents (probably with lots of old BitTorrent clients, esp. BitComet) that download faster if leeching from as many peers as possible.

Archived