What ports uTorrent use ????

Salmerin

I need to block some users from using utorrent on my wireless router, but 6881-6889 doesn't do anything at all. Am I missing something here? They are eating up ALL my Bandwidth, and since we are actually sharing, I can't just not allow them access.

Anybody?

(Yes, I have used the Search button, but it only talks about blocking users within utorrent, or being blocked by their ISP)

µTorrent doesn't use any specific port. If your users are using protocol encryption, then chances are, you won't be able to throttle them (not with conventional networking hardware anyway). Otherwise, see if your router can perform some kind of simple packet filtering in conjunction with QoS.

What would be better is if you could talk to the users and arrive at a more diplomatic solution.

uTorrent's outgoing ports are identical to regular web surfing port use.

So even if you totally blocked their incoming port (essentially firewalling their BitTorrent client), they'd still probably get plenty of outgoing connections.

You'll have to ask them nicely to use good+friendly settings in their BitTorrent program.

Firstly, you NEED to know what your line can handle, both up and down...and how many connections at once your router can stand.

Archived