1.8.* problems versus 1.7.7 stability

ren1999

First of all, a disclaimer. I basically use torrent for open-source file transfers such as Kubuntu Linux. I have cable television and get my movies from there. So don't send me complaints if you are a greedy entertainment industry type.

I have found in all versions of 1.8 that the 'random port' option doesn't work. I close the application and open it again to find the original port I selected when installing the program. As a result, I have found my web pages timing out, then my entire connection. I'm being blocked.

I went back to 1.7.7 because I never had a problem with this and found the 'random port' option working again. I have the same high speed p2p but absolutely no timing out of web pages or loss of connection. I close and open the application with a different p2p port every time which is important to avoid being blocked by different sources that feel they should determine what files we should exchange or not.

Please look into this issue as 1.8 has some nice improvements otherwise. Until then, I must stick with 1.7.7.

Not sure what to say here... Port randomization on startup is working perfectly fine for me. Can you try testing 1.8.1 to see if it's been fixed? There were some settings issues that may have crept in late in 1.8 development and were fixed recently.

If it doesn't help, try exiting µTorrent, backing up settings.dat from %appdata%\uTorrent, delete settings.dat/settings.dat.old from there, then reconfiguring µTorrent.

There is apparently a bug in the Windows network stack that causes µTorrent to mistakenly believe that it's not hitting the net.max_halfopen limit (when, in fact, it is). This causes µTorrent to continue trying to establish more connections, which ends up killing the connection. The bug was always present, even in 1.7.7, but changes in 1.8 aggrevated the issue greatly enough that it became very apparent for many users. µTorrent 1.8.1 will hack around the issue. In the meanwhile, lowering net.max_halfopen has proven successful for many users as a stopgap solution.

Archived