peer connection in 1.8 vs. 1.7.7

TraderJones

Ok, I've been monitoring this for a while now and under UT 1.8 I only get about 1/3 of the peers connecting on a single torrent as under 1.7.7.

I checked this again today, was downloading a torrent with 1.8 that had 1 seeder and 9 leechers, at the start only 3 peers connected by the end of 90 minutes it had gone to 4. Stopped uTorrent 1.8 and copied 1.7.7 over the top. Started uTorrent and when that torrent started I connected almost immediately to the single seeder and 4 leechers and within a few minutes was connected to 7 of the 9 leechers.

Reinstalled 1.8 over the top and back to 3 leechers only connecting. There appears to be a serious issue in how the peer connection process is handled with 1.8.

WinXP xp2 patched to 100 connections, half open set to 8, max active torrrents 15.

I've seen this behavior with dozens of torrents, I only have about 1/3 the peers as before. The above was a specific example where I switched from 1.8 to 1.7.7 and back 1.8. I understand what you said about the peer caches, but that doesn't explain why I dropped back from 7 peers to 3 peers when I upgraded back to 1.8.

Also hard to say much for certain with a small torrent.

A giant torrent with quite a few peers+seeds that aren't leaving anytime soon is a good test, ESPECIALLY if you change your internet ip between v1.7.7 and v1.8.

But there is an issue with v1.8 which may explain your problem. Half open connections are NOT being handled correctly by Microsoft Windows according to uTorrent's makers. (I think they mean XP SP3 or Vista, not sure.) They hope to find a workaround for it and include that in uTorrent v1.8.1.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with TraderJones. I've also seen this on many torrents and just switched back to v1.7.7

Big torrents with more than 200 seeds and 400 peers in total:

Utorrent 1.8 connects to about 15 peers, giving me about 1/5 of my connection speed.

Utorrent 1.7.7 connects to more than 50 in a few seconds, maxing out my connection speed (LAN 100/100)!

WinXP SP3, patched for half open connections. Utorrent set to 150 connections per torrent and 8 half open connections.

• 2 weeks later...

Its true.

I am using Ubuntu Hardy 8.04.1 and Windows XP SP2 and it uTorrent 1.8 is not working well as 1.7.7 (on both operating systems).

I checked settings everything is set same on both versions.

It is probably some bug.

On site should exist some archive for other people to download older version (1.7.7).

Well for me, security doesn't matter.

I need best download speed which I can achieve with 1.7.7.

I also noticed when I decrease upload bandwidth to 1kb/s i got better download speed (on 1.7.7), but on 1.8 when I do that I got lower download speed.

Don't get me wrong.

I like uTorrent, its good.

Just for me it is more suitable older version.

And if more than a couple people do that, we ALL get low download speeds...despite uploading fast ourselves. Is that what you want?

You got a really crappy ISP to give you so little upload. :(

In your case, use v1.8.1 beta and set total upload speed probably only 3-4 KB/sec.

2nd link in my signature to find other settings to go with that upload speed.

Whatever speeds telecomunications provides to your ISP, you will still be better off using matching settings in uTorrent suited to those speeds.

With very low usable upload speed and probably semi-low download speed, having 100's of connections is not only pointless -- it WILL reduce how much download and upload speed you can get!

A high half open connection limit will utterly destroy what little upload speed you have.

uTorrent can function ok even on a decent 56k dial-up connection...but only if it uses very conservative settings. Your connection at least is faster than that! (...though only by a tiny bit on upload.)

Archived