Is uTorrent 1.8 encrypted?

bluspam

I was just wondering as 1.7 had the encryption option if your isp was blocking ports.

I had already enabled forced encryption on my outgoing traffic, but what about the incoming?

I recently installed the "Deluge" client as of this uncertainty. Deluge encrypts all traffic incoming and outgoing, infact the entire sream.

I do miss uTorrent as I feel it's the best client but I do want to ensure that all my connections are encrypted.

That's the only thing µTorrent can control. It can't force the other end of the connection into encrypted mode -- that's not possible with the spec. The only thing it can do about unencrypted incoming connections is to not accept them at all (disable legacy incoming connctions). µTorrent will ALWAYS accept encrypted incoming connections, and there's no way to disable that.

Encryption doesn't circumvent port blocking. It doesn't circumvent all forms of ISP throttling/blocking either. It prevents ISPs from seeing basic packets and parts of packets that cause a connection to be identifiable as BitTorrent traffic

This may cause the ISP to stop throttling, but it's not a guarantee. As well, you narrow the pool of potentia peers with which you can connect by forcing encryption and disabling legacy incoming connections.

Your incoming port for uTorrent is still pretty obvious as having BitTorrent traffic on the port due to the unencrypted connections sending at least 1 packet before being dropped. But that might only cause your incoming connections to be throttled, leaving outgoing connections unaffected.

Other ISPs blanket-throttle unknown encrypted traffic. Rogers Cable ISP in Canada is the only 1 I know by name that does that, but I'm sure there's others.

Archived