Any way to timeout a torrent without peers/down tracker?

Sharky333

Something of an annoyance, I have the "don't count slow ul/dl"-settings on, which are nice, if a tracker is down or there just aren't any peers. However, I currently have 56 torrents seeding, as an often used tracker is down, and the torrents just don't stop, pause or such. Few of those are also older torrents, without any peers, to whom I could upload stuff. I'd like to know, if I could tell my torrents to "stop if no upload/download for 5/10/20 minutes", or preferably, move to the bottom of the queue?

Well first to address your specific question, and then to talk about how you use uTorrent if you don't mind. There is no need to think of it that way as a bottom of the queue. There's three levels of the "queue" as it were. In Preferences under Queueing rules you setup your queue size for active torrents right? When you download your torrents are in the first level. As they complete and seed they're in the second level (you'll see their download number replaced by * in the "#" column). After they satisfy their seeding rules for the queue (default 150% and 90 minutes) they are in the third level.

So, do you mind if I ask why you're trying to seed so many at once? Even at MODEST upload speed anything under 2 Mbit upload is choking your upload speeds with so many... For a swarm, with you being a connectable (un-firewalled) peer it's better that you upload data faster to fewer peers than slower to MORE peers. Think about it this way, the largest piecesize uTorrent natively creates is 4 MiB. It would take over 5 minutes to send a single piece to a SINGLE peer when uploading @ 13.6 KiBps ... surely it's proportionally less when the piecesize is smaller, but think about that when you see your uploading slots (one piece per slot) per torrent (multiply). ;)

Ah, I'm not actually seeding 56 torrents at once, my settings are at 5. However, if those five aren't upping anything, utorrent starts another five, then another ad infinitum, and doesn't stop the ones, that aren't doing anything. Now, I'm not sure how much resources they use by just idling there, occasionally checking, if the tracker is up... My up is about 70K, and I feel a terrible sense of waste, if I'm upping anything below that... :)

AHHHhh, np. Yeah, all that happens for queued torrents is the tracker scrape at the min_interval to see what torrents to start in your case...

So are you noticing problems with the way in which your levels of torrents rotate? The preference is in the order I mentioned, and I think the minimum amount of time before rotation is 10 mins... or maybe 1 piece? There's some weird things that happen when I'm long-seeding a torrent and suddenly something which is popular AND newer comes along. Before the scheduler changes ... I can only use Force-Start to keep torrents I want running.

• 2 months later...

I believe what he is asking for is intelligent queuing. Something I come to the forums to ramble on about now and then.

We'd like to see uTorrent queue up uploads based on the peer:seed ratio that way we don't have to see uTorrent attemp to see a torrent with 84 seeds and 0 peers while the 8seed:4peer torrent goes ignored.

I see utorrent do this all the time and the only solution I've found is stopping the things it shouldn't be seeding (manual queuing).

Archived