Slow checking after reboot? Shows different numbers? Brainstorm?

dirtycar74

OK. I'm a somewhat seasoned uT user.

But occasionally, I'll be leeching a (this time somewhat large, +/-45GB) torrent, and uT will start giving me disk overload errors at the bottom. When it does this, I have noticed that almost all my HDD (not just the ones being read/written to/from) are really slow to respond to any queries whether they be from the OS or from an app like uT.

SO. I close uT (graceful shutdown IS selected) and start closing stuff in preparation for a reboot. Well, most of the time in this situation, the reboot takes exraordinarily long and sometimes hangs on "Shutting Down", and sometimes I have to manually shut it (the computer) off hard.

Well, no matter what, it seems, when I next load uT, it (uT)wants to re-check all the currently leeching/seeding files, and will inevitably take forever, and when done it comes up with different numbers for the percentage downloaded than what was displayed before shutting down uT. I haven't noticed anything for the seeds yet.

Any explanation as to what happened? Any ideas even?

I am running 32bit Vista Ultimate, fully patched and SP'd. I am NOT looking for someone to tell me to run HJT or the like. I just want rational thinking folks to share their experience and knowledge, and perhaps brainstorm an explanation.

I just thought of something; this may or may not have something to do with the specific drive I am trying to save to. It is connected wirelessly via a network USB hub. But other programs don't have issues with it, including playing videos to TV and other high bandwidth consumers of the like.

No, I haven't use ZoneLabs stuff in YEARS... And it's not the preallocation of the files that is the issue, as I have the files pre-allocated anyway (the files exist and are place-held at the correct filesize by the uTorrent program creating the files ahead and adding the *.!ut extension). But maybe your wording is different than mine...

diskio.sparse_files is set to false by default. But there are others that begin with diskio. that are true by default. Please verify your exact item you were referring to just to be 100% sure. I'ts up and running now, with no issues, so I'd really hate to hose myself.

Archived