1.8 has slowed me down

snappy

I am having a problem similar to Snappy, but for me, the difference is this: With the last build, 1.7.7, I could have any single torrent reach 110 kb/s on download speed, as long as there were enough seeders to provide data that fast. Or, I could have several torrents downloading at the same time and still reach 110 kb/s (which is my connection's capacity). With the new build, 1.8, all individual torrents are automatically limited to 12 kb/s download speed, but if I have several torrents downloading at the same time, I can still reach my previous capacity of 110 kb/s. I have tried all the suggestions (even patching the windows TCPIP file), and I have followed your 2nd line of advice as well, Switeck, but there is no change in performance for the better (some actually made it worse so I had to go back to the original settings). I do not see any setting in 1.8 that claims to restrict "per torrent" downloads. If I "roll back" to the previous build, I can still reach my old performance again, so there's something in 1.8 that is restricting individual torrents to 12 kb/s while still allowing my total download speed to reach 110 kb/s. What can cause something like this to happen?

@ Firon: Actually, since I forgot to mention it, I will tell you that I always keep my seeding above 1 kb/s (usually 10-20 kb/s, which is the maximum my connection can handle), and I do not get the message "downloading restricted". As I said, I followed all the instructions about what might cause my problem, and I read about that one as well. I do make sure to seed at least 100% of all files I receive, and I seed them as fast as my connection can handle. Please do not accuse people of just being leeches just because they don't mention their upload speed the first time they mention their problems downloading, even if that is the actual cause for a majority of the cases.

If either you or Switeck would like, I could screen capture my monitor showing uTorrent to prove that my UL limit is 10 while my DL limit is 110, and still my torrents will download at only 12 kb/s EACH, not total DL speed.

As I said, I can still reach 110 kb/s TOTAL downloading, but I must have 110 kb/s DL speed ÷ (# of torrent files DLing @ 12 kb/s max. each) = 9 torrents downloading simultaneously to reach my limit of 110kb/s whereas with v. 1.7.7, I could reach my limit of 110 with only one torrent, providing that seeds would provide data that fast.

@ Switeck: As I mentioned to Firon, my upload limit is higher than the minimum necessary to avoid download restriction, and I have no download problems if I "downgrade" to v. 1.7.7 with the same connection limits as on v. 1.8, so it's not my upload settings...

@noswadm: Thanks for the tip, I'll try that beta version and see if it fixes my problems too. I'll let you know the result later.

Edit: Thank you very much, noswadm! I usually stay away from Beta versions because they might have unstable bugs in them, but in this case, all the time I spent reading what settings to change on the "stable" v. 1.8 was wasted. All it took was a few seconds to DL that Beta version, run it, and voila, without making any more setting changes, I can DL fast again (I'm currently at 62 kb/sec total DL speed for two torrent files)!

Thanks for trying to help, DreadWingKnight, but please read a person's posts more carefully in the future before responding, as it might save you from giving bad information. As I stated several times, I am not limiting any INDIVIDUAL torrents' speeds. I only limit TOTAL available upload bandwidth to 10-20 kb/s, due to the limits of my connection. That has never affected my downloads before. But for some reason, as you can see from at least two other people besides me who also mentioned their problems in this thread, there is just something quirky in 1.8 that doesn't allow us to reach our normal DL speeds.

So, for anyone else who comes to this thread to see what might work to fix your download speeds and you're not limiting your uploads to less than 5 kb/s, you might want to save yourself the time and effort of adjusting many different settings and resetting uTorrent many times, and just try the Beta 1.8.1 first.

(and for the admins, I wish I could help you with what might be the probable cause for this rare bug in v. 1.8 that affects some people, but I'm not that technically minded with software programming. I followed all the advice you gave online but it did not improve uTorrent's performance, so maybe one of the programmers could compare all the settings between 1.8 and 1.8.1 and find out what might be causing it.)

My download speed also decreases when i upgrade to 1.8 or 1.8.1.It seems that the new versions don't connect to as many peers as they could.With the same settings on 1.7.7 for one torrent i have 23 peers connected(the limit per torrent is set to 30) and for 1.8 it fluctuates between 4 and 6.Also no upload speed limits are present.If you could help me I'd be grateful.THX

Archived