UTorrent Suddenly Killing Internet Connection

alex350r

Hi all,

Ive been a UTorrent user for ages, Im running Vista x64 on a Virgin Media 20mb cable connection.

Previously I was using a Linksys WRT54G Router, it is one of the ones that doesnt have much inbuilt RAM so I had to set the increase the maximum TCP/IP connections and decrease the TCP/UDP timeouts so the router wouldnt crash.

Yesterday I purchased a Edimax 6574n Wireless-N Router and noticed that when running UTorrent, I could not browse the internet at all. I switched back to my old router and the problem is still the same? :s

The only thing I can think is possibly a Windows Update or newer version of UTorrent that has affected it, short of reformatting I am not sure what to do. Can anyone give me any ideas?

Cheers

Alex

"possibly a Windows Update or newer version of UTorrent"

Sadly, probably both. uTorrent v1.8 and latest Win XP/Vista updates together don't handle half open connections correctly. Windows misreports, uTorrent is more aggressive.

uTorrent v1.8.1 is trying to correct that, though working around underlying Windows flaws isn't easy.

Try reducing half open connection limit in uTorrent to 1-4 and/or using the latest uTorrent v1.8.1 beta.

Thanks Switeck, I will try the new beta version tonight and try reducing the connection limit. The reason I thought it must have been an update is because it only started occuring recently.

Does this mean that open connections that are no longer being used, don't get closed correctly? and so fill up the router.

No, half open connections aren't related to open connections which also aren't related to connections not being closed correctly on your router.

It's window's half open limit that uTorrent (plus other programs active at the same time) overloads. Windows fails to inform uTorrent of this fact, and so uTorrent continues to make extra half open connections pushing way beyond the limit. uTorrent finally gives up on the connection attempts and attempts to cancel the request (timeout) but windows ignores the cancel and eventually tries those connections anyway. They end up as "undead" in windows with nothing probably trying to kill them. And chaos ensues.

Switeck, I am experiencing problems similar to alex350r (that being I'm a seasoned user, recently experiencing difficulty [meaning slow to no ability to load webpages] surfing while Utorr is active) and wanted to throw an observation of mine into the ring, with the hope of assisting in finding a resolution:

I am runnin XP Pro SP 2, utorrent 1.6.1 build 490, and Firefox Vers 2.0.0.13 I have both utorrr and XPs' auto updates disabled, but overlooked disabling Firefoxs'. About a week ago I noticed an "Auto updating" advisory window from Mozilla pop up outta nowhere, and ever since I can't use Utorrent together with Firefox or IE.

I am preparing to uninstall (either the update or Firefox completely) and reinstalling an older version...if it solves my problem I will post that outcome here.

UPDATE- My point is that Firefox may be the problem here Firon...not utorrent. I just reinstalled firefox using FF version 1.0.6 to replace the version I was using above. I now can use utorrent at the same time as I browse the internet, my average DL speed was between 9-30 KB/s and is now at 131.4 KB/s.

Administrators: I am wondering why ya'all seem to be such version nazis, this seeming insistance that everyone use the latest version of your software is un-realistic (because we have all experienced the latest/greatest version of a program being a piece o Microsoft) and anti-helpful.

None of us here want to deal with the hassles of bugs in old versions being the cause of people's problems. There are enough other issues to deal with to not want to fight with that too. :(

But even if you upgrade...you really need to give some real information about what's going on.

I can set uTorrent up to kill virtually ANY internet connection...it's all about using REALLY bad settings.

Yet strangely, you didn't mention the settings you're using.

Just because old settings worked for awhile doesn't make them good...and they can often be a slow disaster:

If you download only a torrent every once in awhile but never stop any torrents, then until you exceed max connections for your networking equipment all may seem well.

A computer tends to accumulate junk from the internet as well as ever-increasing numbers of installed programs that may even be fighting over resources in the background. This too can create an eventual unscheduled disaster.

Im also having really really slow(web pages take 10 minutes or so to load when normally they load under a second) web usage in Firefox 3 and Thunderbird wont connect to get my mail with Utorrent running.Im going to try the beta later tonight.

Apart from reducing "half open connection limit" which by the way i aint got a clue what this is,anything else i can try?

TIA362465on.gif

FF 3.01

Thunderbird 2.0.0.16

Vista Premium SP1

ESET Smart Security (3414 version virus signature database)

Spyware Doctor 6.0.0.354

UPDATE

By following advice from sticky "HTTP 400 error with NOD32? Look here!"

it seems so far to have solved my problem, i hope it helps some of you.

Stash

Hi Firon,

It is not that i'm saturating my connection for sure; before I could easily run 10 torrents simultaneously. Now when I download two torrents at capped speed of 400Kb/sec (my max is 800Kb/sec) everything what is connected to internet is still slowing down as hell.

Edit:

Specs;

Browser FF 3.0.1

O/S: Windows XP SP3 incl. latest updates

AV: NOD32 v2.7.0.39

UPDATE

Well so far so good,i can surf and get my mail with Utorrent running where b4 i couldnt.

All i did was to follow instructions for unclicking Utorrent as a browser in ESET Smart Security and that did the trick.

Thx very much to the poster.

Hopefully it will help u guys

Stash

Archived