Uh, help? /Really/ Slow speed

kaodorite

so my utorrent has been becoming steadily slower as time progresses and i'll be lucky if i can even hit like 4kb/s now, and my upload rate is not much better reaching maybe at the most 5kb/s. and generally i'm willing to wait 2 days for a download but now it's hit a new low and most times my download rate speed will be under 1kb/s. ugh.

I've done so many things, i'll try remember and list them off as the Sticky thread at the begining of this forum said:

Everything I've tried

* have forwarded my port/made a static ip or something like that a while ago (ugh didn't understand a thing and just did it and helped for a while)

* have read and done the setup guide

* have done everything under the "SLOW/INTERRUPTED INTERNET CONNECTION OR OFFLINE TRACKERS " list of things to do because for a while my tracker were offline and yeah, but now they are all working peachy

* have done everything under the "SLOW TRANSFER SPEEDS" title and my green netwrok status icon is nice and green (but before i did the whole static ip it was that evil yellow one and tested with the Glasnost thing and it said no throttling)

and that's all i can remember

State of all my options

hope you can see the images:

bt1vc0.jpg

(http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/4994/bt1vc0.jpg)

bt2rk7.jpg

(http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/8430/bt2rk7.jpg)

Speed Guide

port checker says everything is okay & i should be able to receive incoming BitTorrent connections.

bt1pt5.jpg

(http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/2615/bt1pt5.jpg)

Operting System/Security Software

I have windows XP and have norton protection centre (but i have set utorrent to allow in the whole firewall settings and have even tired turning off the firewall completely when in utorent but it does no use)

Router/Modem

Router: ugh....dunno? halp?

Modem: erm...uh..lets take a guess and I'm going to name the little black thing with the lights and wires and say: Thomson SpeedTouch 530 (does that sound right?)

I think my connection is DSL/Broadband

ISP is bigpond.net.au

Speed Test

using http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?flash=1

it says my download speed is: 211kb/s

and my upload speed is: 51kb/s

and i do hope all this information is enough and someone will help me fix my stupid downloads or I shall chuck the biggest hissy fit. :<

Regarding the speed test results... Be sure that you aren't using your connection for any other reason besides testing, while testing. That means no downloading, no IMing, no µTorrent running, no browser activity (other than the testing), etc. Additionally, no other computer on your network (if any) should be using the connection. When you select a testing mirror, use the ones that are geographically closest to you.

If the results return consistently after that, then the upload rate you've indicated is way lower than the limit you've set -- 51kbit/s won't get you very much in terms of upload speed... Dial-up (56k) would probably be the closest setting to your connection's upload rate in the Speed Guide.

I've done the speed test thing right, not using my connection for anything else but that test. and there's only one computer in this house so there's not "network".

I've changed my upload rate, and sure i'm uploading better by a really small amount but my download still suck, and that's what i want to fix. cause i used to be able to download stuff quite fast and now as i said it's just gotten steadily slower to a point where really i'm not downloading at all.

so erm yeah....problem still need fixing. D:

oh is that really slow? i dunno, it's been like that always i guess (i mean as i said when i first downloaded utorrent i could download faster, but never as much as like what some people on the forum describe. the highest i ever get is 20-24kb/s. and i want it to be like that again). it's always felt a bit slow, but i surivive. it's always just seemed normal. lol

Archived