.torrent file name vs. label name

riffcat

I've downloaded .torrent files that have been renamed by a tracker to follow a more descriptive naming convention. Originally, the torrent may have been named and labeled something like 'myfavoritething.torrent' but upon upload the torrent file was converted to something more descriptive such as '<artist> - <album> (year) [type].torrent'.

The problem arises when the torrent gets downloaded and brought into utorrent. utorrent sees the original label of 'myfavoritething.torrent' and despite the actual file name saved as '<artist> - <album> (year) [type].torrent' will import the torrent as 'myfavoritething' and save the new torrent in my designated torrent directory as 'myfavoritething.torrent'.

Is there a way to handle this so that new descriptive file name '<artist> - <album> (year) [type]' will be displayed as the label inside utorrent as well as save the file as <artist> - <album> (year) [type].torrent?

thank you.

The only reason I can think of would be for 8.3 or similar conventions... but in that case I'd recommend to them to update their tracker software (if that's the reason). Did you investigate the possibility of RSS? Or would the information the server passes still be the rather uninformative .TORRENT filename

yes, it is within the tracker software. i spoke with one of the developers and they found it is as specified by the "name" file in the info section of the .torrent file and their Bencode parser needs to be modified. I didn't try the RSS possibility since the problem was confirmed. Thank you both Ultima and the thelittlefire for the feedback.

RSS has nothing to do with the issue. Yes, µTorrent uses the name embedded in the .torrent infodict. That means that changing it on upload changes the infohash as well -- something for uploaders to keep in mind if they don't already redownload the .torrent file after uploading.

Archived