Don't work Number of Upload slots per torrent.

stas274

uTorrent 1.8

"Number of Upload slots per torrent" is set to 50.

But simultaneously, max 20-25 slots work only. Other peers have flag "u".

screenqy7.th.gif

All 50 slots correctly work in uTorrent 1.6.1 (on my second PC).

screenwo8.th.png

Why is it? I had this problem from uTorrent 1.7. Maybe I should customise any option?

// Sorry me, please, for my bad english...

... 50 slots on what speed of connection? 1.6 doesn't belong running on anyone's computer these days.

You are downloading > 2 MByte / sec in your 1.8 screenshot I assume... are you sure it's not related to your line being congested or the disk being unable to keep up? Also notice other peers have you snubbed http://utorrent.com/faq.php#What_do_all_those_flags_in_the_Flags_column_mean.3F

Connection speed is up to 100 Mbit/s.

I am assured, it is not a HDD or connection speed.

Now down/up speed is slow (no of fast leechers). But half of peers have "u" flag (Peer wants your client to upload, but your client doesn't want to). And they not download from me.

screenmw9.th.png

But in uTorrent 1.6.1 all peers have "U" flag (Currently uploading) and download from me.

screenag2.th.png

uTorrent v1.7 and later expects every upload slot to have AT LEAST 2 KiloBYTES/second upload speed dedicated to it -- increasing to maybe 5 KiloBYTES/second upload speed for higher global upload speeds. If your settings don't allow that, uTorrent reduces the upload slots used.

The problem is, torrents with fewer peers than upload slot max are still treated by uTorrent as using upload slot max. (It's a bug/limitation!)

The highest upload speed I saw in any of the screenshots is about 2500 KiloBYTES/second. On another screenshot, I saw 28 active torrents. 28 torrents times 50 upload slots each is 1400 total upload slots...a number greater than global connection max! Even assuming only 1000 upload slots spread across 28 torrents (~35 upload slots each), average upload speed per upload slot would be a dismal 2.5 KiloBYTES/second. To reach an average speed of 5 KiloBYTES/second, upload slots get auto-reduced to about 17-20 per torrent.

To work around this limit, you can set global per torrent upload slots maybe to 20...and then on busy torrents manually increase the upload slots to 50 or more. Or run fewer torrents at once.

Turn on DEBUG in the top window (where the torrents are shown) -- the last number is the current max allowed upload slots for each torrent.

Also, you need to determine what your connection's real sustainable max upload speed is...because it doesn't seem to be 100 megabits/second upload. uTorrent runs much smoother when it's not told to upload faster than the line can handle.

Thank you for information. But some comments.

Also, you need to determine what your connection's real sustainable max upload speed is...because it doesn't seem to be 100 megabits/second upload. uTorrent runs much smoother when it's not told to upload faster than the line can handle.

I saw the maximum upload speed about 9 MB/s. OK, I set Upload rate to 8192 kB/s.

Turn on DEBUG in the top window (where the torrents are shown) -- the last number is the current max allowed upload slots for each torrent.

Thanks for this. Now I see.

The problem is, torrents with fewer peers than upload slot max are still treated by uTorrent as using upload slot max. (It's a bug/limitation!)

It is real problem. Half of my torrents have not leechers. 80% of other torrents have less 4 leechers. And some new have 20-100. (private trackers with ratio) I need to upload to all simultaneously.

The highest upload speed I saw in any of the screenshots is about 2500 KiloBYTES/second. On another screenshot, I saw 28 active torrents. 28 torrents times 50 upload slots each is 1400 total upload slots...a number greater than global connection max! Even assuming only 1000 upload slots spread across 28 torrents (~35 upload slots each), average upload speed per upload slot would be a dismal 2.5 KiloBYTES/second. To reach an average speed of 5 KiloBYTES/second, upload slots get auto-reduced to about 17-20 per torrent.

This is a theoretical data. But real all is differently. Global connections about 200-700. Real speed to 50% leechers: >20 kB/s. And uTorrent (when reduces the upload slots) reduces the global upload speed too. I think, at calculation (5 kB\s per slot) uTorrent should use currently used slots. Not max. And should not reduce number of slots to torrents, if average speed per slot bigger 5 kB/s.

Maybe advanced option for turning off auto-reduction upload slots?

And I think will be useful option: global number of upload slots (not per torrent). Without auto-reduction. Some torrents will use 1-5 slots, some 50+.

It is very useful in my case.

Or don't try to seed so many at once. The theory is, when you have torrents which need seeding power (and say a scant peer comes on) the auto-unchoke and queue cycling time will kick in. I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes, then again it's not like my .25 Mbit upload helps at all... I'd say test your setup and the queue handling externally, telling them what you experience, instead of asking for and waiting for new features. Does your queue rotational time take longer than 5 minutes to kick a torrent ACTIVE from QUEUED when you see a peer?

Global number of upload slots...with SMARTER auto-reduction.

You have to look at the other end of the spectrum...there are lots of people that set global upload speed to 10 KiloBYTES/second (even though their line is at least slightly faster) and try to download 10 torrents at once with 10 upload slots each. So their upload speed from other people's point of view would be 1/10th KiloBYTE/second if there were no auto-reduction. uTorrent won't stop their torrents, but reducing their upload slots to 1 per torrent will make their minimal upload more useful to the torrent swarms they are on. Ironically, that will likely improve their download speed too.

If you're never reaching 8192 KiloBYTES/second upload speed...then I still stand by my assessment that you may not have 100 megabits/second upload speed, though this can be due to networking software or hardware limitations rather than your line's inability to upload that fast. Even uTorrent's bugs/weaknesses (such as this upload slot reduction) may cause that.

You have to look at the other end of the spectrum...there are lots of people that set global upload speed to 10 KiloBYTES/second (even though their line is at least slightly faster) and try to download 10 torrents at once with 10 upload slots each. So their upload speed from other people's point of view would be 1/10th KiloBYTE/second if there were no auto-reduction. uTorrent won't stop their torrents, but reducing their upload slots to 1 per torrent will make their minimal upload more useful to the torrent swarms they are on. Ironically, that will likely improve their download speed too.

It's true. But with option "Global number of upload slots" = 10, this client will have 1 slot per torrent.

If you're never reaching 8192 KiloBYTES/second upload speed...then I still stand by my assessment that you may not have 100 megabits/second upload speed, though this can be due to networking software or hardware limitations rather than your line's inability to upload that fast. Even uTorrent's bugs/weaknesses (such as this upload slot reduction) may cause that.

Often I see speed 2-4 MB/s. Sometimes 5-6 MB/s. And very seldom 7-8 MB/s. Onсe 9 MB/s. Usually there are no people, capable to download with such speed (seeds >>> leech, and most people have < 10 mbit/s). I want only that all downloaded from me simultaneously. For example, dynamic distribution of slots between torrents (4 leechers - 4 slots, 30 leechers - 30 slots). Now I see simultaneous reduction in number of slots on all torrents. And more slowly leechers (Total upload speed is slow) => less upload slots.

Now I have understood, it is impossible to customize so that did how I would like.

Sorry for this topic and my bad english. I used the automatic translator to help myself. And thanks for your help.

Archived