[request] RSS Feed Plugin

Author's Description

An RSS feed parser that allows unattended, automated download of torrents by means of advanced feed filter configurability.

The RSS Feed Scanner is an automatic RSS feed parser which is highly configurable and allows unnattended operation via its advanced filtering capabilities.

It supports multiple feed URLs, each of which can be individually or globally configured. The filter strings can be easily edited via the graphical configuration tool, and each filter can also support targeting of specific episodes within a series of the same titles (for example in downloading episodes of shows).

The download history of torrents is maintained so that the specific torrents are only downloaded once, even if you shutdown and restart.

This plugin also has full help included in the interface, so you can start using the plugin without any prior knowledge needed.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

>> "Cool idea. Look good on my sidebar in Vista"

totally unrelated ? what µTorrent will suppoingly do is get the rss xml file, read the torrent links in it and add them to the list. Has nothing to do with displaying of RSS feeds at all.

*mumbles to self, damn copy paste from azureus wiki.. gah >.<

What I'm more interested in knowing is if RSS support is really that necessary. Besides being "useful" are there other reasons why the developers should put a feature in? I'm asking since 'useful' is highly subjective, and what you see as 'useful' may be completely crap to 99.9999% of all other users out there, so a more concrete description should be required for all feature requests. I think a better goal to shoot for is to convince everyone else that a certain feature is 'necessary.'

I'd really prefer it if either ludde or vurlix posted a sticky in here outlining stuff that's required for any feature request thread started, since I'm sick of seeing 'Can you add Azureus feature XXXXX to µTorrent' or 'Can we get YYYYY feature from this Azureus plugin ZZZZZ'

Make the filter using RegEx

So I could filter that way

Smallville.+S?0?5{1,2}(E|x)d{1,2}

This will accept anything in this list

Smallville.HR.S05E01.Xvid

Smallville.HR.HDTV.S5E1.Xvid

Smallville.HDTV.S05E01.Xvid

Smallville.5x01.Xvid

And a lot more

Have filter ordered, and make some filter to reject torrents, like a filter that would say to reject all matching

[ .]HR[ .]

So the first two in the examples above won't download.

This will avoid using of a TVShow decoding procedure and make it really powerfull to select what we want. I know not all ppl would know about Regular Expression, link them to http://www.regular-expressions.info/reference.html to learn and to http://www.roblocher.com/technotes/regexp.aspx to test their pattern.

And as you said MOST ppl download illegal stuff off BitTorrent ... And I've seen RSS feed elsewhere than TVShow tracker btw, but if you want an example of a tracker using RSS feed that carry only legal stuff, humm... Is there any tracker having only legal stuff anyways, that have enough peers to have a rss feed?

I can see in your profile that you're a programmer, do you actually program µTorrent? Because I never saw a person so negative face to features and change, you're not the only one in the world dude! Others have needs that you don't, you should accept the fact that you might see some feature that you don't need. But if you're the actual programmer of µTorrent, then, make whatever you want of you app, it's all yours. But if you are, make it clear in your profile, you react like you are though...

I will switch in a blink of an eye to µTorrent as soon as it have the basic feature I'm using in AZ, since then, I'll continue using my fully unattanded AZ setup. µTorrent is well programmed, small, fast and efficient, and I don't think adding some more features will make it less efficient, mabye the exe file will be a bit bigger, but for memory usage, you should know that you don't have to allocate memory on features you don't use, I'm a programmer too.

I'm requesting to have this thread locked since it's not compliant with what I can interpret from the forum content rules. Though the rules only explcitly mention linking to illegal content, I don't think mentioning that BitTorrent is a means of downloading illegal content would be a good idea. I'm sure many people already know things about BitTorrent, and it's not necessary to make things more obvious, especially if it may put the developers in a position of being allegedly supportive of such activities.

No, I'm i am not the programmer of uTorrent. ludde and vurlix are.

>> I will switch in a blink of an eye to µTorrent as soon as it have the basic feature I'm using in AZ,

Thats the damn point. THEY ARENT BASIC. People are requesting to have the program sing them a happy tune when they're sad.. Please. The reason azureus is such a huge resource sucker is BECAUSE of these requests. people wanting graphical bars for everything possible and then some.

Thats my idea on feature inclusion - Include what most people want and use, Not every little piece of bloat that would comforte SOME people a little more.

It IS my opinion, whatever you like it or not.

Exactly. A feature should be included not because SOME people might use it, But if MOST people would.

To add on that, the ONLY place i've ever seen this used is the illegal TV show trackers. I haven't seen RSS feeds used anywhere else.

totally agree with you on that but it doesnt seem to be the case anymore. semms there far too many azureus noobs and paranoid ppl coming on here and posting some very useless features.

i dont want utorrent to end up having lots of useless bloating features that might only be used like once or twice.

Exactly. A feature should be included not because SOME people might use it, But if MOST people would.

To add on that, the ONLY place i've ever seen this used is the illegal TV show trackers. I haven't seen RSS feeds used anywhere else.

I have to say that you're not really informed then, chaosblade. All big trackers and dump sites, even many small ones, support RSS and even have feeds for single categories (PirateBay, mininova, TorrentSpy, Seedler, TorrentReactor,...). Also many anime fansub dump sites (animesuki, baka-updates, tokyotoshokan,...)(those are in no way anything illegal) have their own feeds. I think, and probably anyone else who tried RSS feeds, that RSS is the most comfortable way to add new torrents to your client and even reduce the tracker load because you wont need to browse the tracker websites/forums anymore. So I would even set the meaning of being a "useful" feature up to being an "extremely useful" feature since it doesn't only make life easier for people who use the client but also for the people who run the trackers. And a way to work around the problem that there might be to many useless features... make it plugins/add-ons so everybody can decide if he wants to add it to his client or not.

The reason azureus is such a huge resource sucker is BECAUSE of these requests. people wanting graphical bars for everything possible and then some.

Not really, no. The reason azureus is such a huge resource sucker is because it's written in Java.

Java is an inefficient language, but quite a bit of the reason behind Azureus' stupidity lies with the features as well. What I'd like to see is a comparison where someone with too much time on their hands strips Azureus down to match µTorrent's features and then they compare it to µTorrent. It's a totally useless comparison since the real-world Azureus will always stay as crap, but it'll be slightly amusing at the very least.

Well, it's very obvious that the developers of uTorrent has spent alot of time getting the memory management to use as little memory as possible. No matter how much time you'd spend on polishing the core parts of Azureus, you'd never even get close to uTorrent's performance. It just can't be done with Java. Or python, for that matter.

RSS support is a slightly geeky feature. It isn't something for the absolute beginner but it one of the most usefull features out there to go with BitTorrent. Whether I want the to have the latest version of the linux kernel sitting on my desktop when I wake up in the morning, or the latest Daily Show episode waiting for me in the evening RSS makes bittorrent into a killer app. I love how small and lite µTorrent is so I don't want any fancy unneccessary features but I believe that RSS support would be worth it's weight in RAM.

Archived