[request] RSS Feed Plugin

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While you may think automation is necessary, it isn't. I download things off of BitTorrent approximately two or three times a week, so adding a RSS feeder simply to move you a little closer to your precious bloated Azureus is a waste of ludde's time. If you really think it's absolutely necessary, then reconsider going back to your bloat, because that's all it really is. Stop wasting everyone's time with Azureus this and Azureus that.

There are plenty of linux distros which get posted on rss feeds as well, plus many other legal downloads..

Anyway, how hard can it be to implement something like this?

It definitely gets my vote as it's the only thing which is keeping me from switching from the horid Az to µ.. Otherwise I'm going to have to script something myself to download .torrents automatically and throw them in µ..

and silverfire, who are you to decide for ludde if something is not necessary, i'm sure he can decide for himself.. i have seen plenty of posts in this thread, so that must mean there are plenty of people who DO want this functionality.

Might it be an idea to have utorrent expanded to support addons/plugins?

Then everyone can install only the things they really need...

I know Az does this too, but the plugins are so small compared to the whole program.. With uTorrent it should work nice since it's already small, and could then be expanded to every user's wishes.. Anyway, who doesn't code in modules these days?

[RUS]"]Disagree. RSS isn't nessesary in BitTorrent client.

ofcourse it is, how else would you automate your DLs ?

its the best thing ever! :) makes life soo much easier...

Eh? I'll automate them with Miranda & nnCron if I really need this. Or think something else. A man should use his brain instead of moaning around asking for a useless feature. NP. ;);)

Thanks for deciding to include this great feature. Cant wait.

Anyone know of any alternative external apps that can download torrents from feeds and open them in utorrent? (That I can use in the meantime)

I got a program called TorrentVCR made by justido that I have been trying to get working with no avil cause I am a n00b when it comes to RSS and a few other things. I think I almost got it working, but no joy yet..if anyone would like to give it a try..can be found at my website...soon as I upload it. :P

In the process of doing it now..link will be, until further notice, http://torrentvcr.inacurate.com/ *** Edit - New Link, got the sub-domain working. :)

It looks like a decent program, just wish I could give it a try with my private tracker...hopefully will get it working soon. If anyone does give it a go, and gets it working...let me know? :D

Inac

Anyone know of any alternative external apps that can download torrents from feeds and open them in utorrent? (That I can use in the meantime)

I got a program called TorrentVCR made by justido that I have been trying to get working with no avil cause I am a n00b when it comes to RSS and a few other things. I think I almost got it working, but no joy yet..if anyone would like to give it a try..can be found at my website...soon as I upload it. :P

In the process of doing it now..link will be, until further notice, http://www.inacurate.com/TorrentVCR/

It looks like a decent program, just wish I could give it a try with my private tracker...hopefully will get it working soon. If anyone does give it a go, and gets it working...let me know? :D

Inac

I found Torrent VCR as well, justido is a member on a private tracker that I am a member of too.

Thanks johnlocke, I'll have a look at TVTad too.

I found Torrent VCR as well, justido is a member on a private tracker that I am a member of too.

Thanks johnlocke, I'll have a look at TVTad too.

Yes...I see your post... LOL. ;)

I was wondering where you downloaded it from since he had to remove the link...now I know. :D

You get it to work there? Am having an issue with the cookie part of the setup myself... :(

Inac

I idle on an irc channel that announces new releases (someone made an rss to irc script) ..I then made a script for mirc that either auto-gets or notfies me of releases.

If auto-get..it makes leechget download and launch utorrent.

(If utorrent adds URL loading from command line I can stop using leechget. ;)

In my opinion, RSS would be a feature used only by a minority, although to those who do use it, it is essential.

As plugins will not be supported, would it be possible for the developers to allow parameters to be passed to µTorrent specifying a torrent url and save location amongst others? This would allow downloads to be launched from an external program, thus keeping the footprint to a minimum and allowing automation for those that require it.

As plugins will not be supported, would it be possible for the developers to allow parameters to be passed to µTorrent specifying a torrent url and save location amongst others? This would allow downloads to be launched from an external program, thus keeping the footprint to a minimum and allowing automation for those that require it.

I like this idea. Implementing commandline arguments takes minimal code, and can be extrodinarily handy.

JigPu

• 1 month later...

Just throwing in my 2 cents. Personally, the only thing that is keeping me from sending my bloaty azureus to the recycle bin is the RSS feed scanner. It is absolutely essential for me. Once uTorrent implements this (hopefully in a similar manner with regex, and allowing the user to specify separate download directories for each filter), I'll be making the switch for sure. And that commandline arguments idea sounds pretty neat too, that could be another option that should work just as well.

It's as useful as the queueing system for some users (and counted in laziness points, just as bloated.) I don't know if I will use it, but I wouldn't be surprised if I find out that I like it. And it's being worked on. I actually think that the xml parser is built already :)

But is it really so hard that you go to your favorite tracker a couple of times per day,

click to download or search for the titels you want? :P

I can't see why the rss is vital for anything, it's prurely for those who are lazy.

It's as useful as the queueing system for some users

only to those who are lazy and just can't spend a few minutes to check for the torrents they want

Plus there is a negative side to it that it might download several copies of whatever you queue.

Archived