[request] RSS Feed Plugin

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
only to those who are lazy and just can't spend a few minutes to check for the torrents they want

That's what I mean. And the queueing feature is only for the people who are too lazy to sit and wait for the torrent to finish and then start another one.

It's getting implemented and I'm pretty neutral to that fact. The talk about laziness can be used against anything since all tools are invented because of laziness

Think they mean 'cool'. ;)

Just a typo.

sadly, no, that is a common way of saying "cool" now just like "kewl".. sigh.. :(

While you may think automation is necessary, it isn't. I download things off of BitTorrent approximately two or three times a week, so adding a RSS feeder simply to move you a little closer to your precious bloated Azureus is a waste of ludde's time.

Just because you download from BT only two or three times a week doesn't mean everyone does. Maybe ludde wants this feature for his own use (would certainly explain why it's being implemented)! It's not a waste of his time if he considers it useful.

Anyway, how hard can it be to implement something like this?

pretty hard, you have to write an xml parser. well, at least hard compared to most of the other feature requests

I use TVTad myself, and I believe it'll work fine with any kind of tracker now, not just TV feeds. Pretty sure you can dump Azureus and use uTorrent and TVTad together...bet they both together use less resources than Azureus.

As for being lazy...well I don't sit in front of a computer all day, nor have access to one. I much rather come home to finished torrents, than having to wait until the next day.

Hello everyone. This is a very interesting thread. I'm usually a forum lurker, but I'd like to add my comments.

I have only recently discovered µTorrent. I am currently an Azureus user. Azureus may be bloated but it is feature packed, and to me, it is the best client for my particular needs. It does have many features that I don't use and will probably never use, but short of writing my own, I doubt that there will ever be a client that meets my needs exactly.

With any off the shelf software, it's a case of weighing up the benefits compared to the disadvantages. I am prepared to sacrifice RAM usage and processor cycles for features that I don't want if I feel the good features outweigh them.

The same philosophy can be put to the choice of programming platform used to develop the application. Sure, by using Java, Azureus is more resource hungry than µTorrent and that is a disadvantage. However it is also platform independant and runs on a much wider range of computing environments. µTorrent amy in the future be ported to other operating systems, but that will slow down development as each new feature will need to be duplicated across the different versions of the client.

Whilst the bloat of Azureus may be unaceptable to some, it may not be to others. For a UNIX user, it doesn't matter how efficent µTorrent is, it will not run on their computer.

I personally am eagerly awaiting RSS support for µTorrent. Once it is added, I will switch from Azureus because it is a feature that I will find useful. I am quite looking forward to being able to use an efficient client with the features that I use.

With regards to the legaility. I live in the UK, I have a television and a television licence. However, reception in my area is not very good. I refuse to hand my money over to Rupert Murdoch or his customers, so therefore, the TV that I watch live is limited in quality. I receive an analogue signal (because I find analogue on a poor signal to be more watchable than digital on a poor signal) and therefore do not receive a widescreen transmission.

[Mention of illegal activities removed]. I get a high quality picture in widescrren that is equivalent to what I would receive if I lived closer to a transmitter. Whilst what I do may be illegal, I do not believe it is immoral. RSS feeds would be a bonus for me, because it means I will be able to watch the show closer to its original air date. I do not subscribe to the opinion that it is laziness. I do not want to keep checking a torrent site all day to see if my programme is available. I have better and more intersting things to be doing with my time. It would be fantastic if [mention of illegal activities removed] to my media centre and available from the programmes menu without any human intervention.

I would also like to second the recommendation that the upcoming RSS feature should have Regular Expression support. This would add the greatest flexibility to the RSS feature.

To please more people, perhaps a second µTorrent branch should be made, creating two version of the application. A standard feature-rich version and a second 'lite' version that includes only the features that are deemed essential. That would provide the best of both worlds and give users more choice.

EDIT by silverfire: I understand your good intentions in providing thorough support for your post, but explicit mentions of illegal activity are prohibited.

Archived