Unable to log off or shut down after using a torrent app

englishmen

Title says it all every time i use a torrent app µtorrent included i am unable to either log off or shut down my pc, i have to switch it off from the back. This happens every single time with out failure i have tried all torrent apps around, i select either log off or shut down and it quits from my desktop to the log on page and states either logging off or shutting down but never actually does.

Could someone please suggest some reasons for this as it is very annoying, i think it must be something the torrent apps do but don't know what.

I am aware it is not a problem in µtorrent as it happens with every torrent app out so please don't start stating its not µtorrent's fault because its not i now it is not, that's why i placed this topic in chat with the hope some can help, thanks.

Maybe it's your network card (the drivers). If the drivers don't get closed/exit/whatever properly, they won't allow Windows to shut down. (I *think* I remember reading something about such driver problems on sysinternals.com)

Edit: Here's the article I read... The same thing happened with my old printer -- I had to shut the printer down before Windows continued with the shutdown process, otherwise, it just hung there. At least I got rid of that printer already =P

Also, it could be that you've configured your Windows setup to shutdown too quickly (< 3 sec.). You may have to increase this value. µTorrent (or any other BitTorrent program for that matter) needs time to announce (that you're not available anymore on the network), time to gracefully close all incoming and outgoing connections, time to flush the cache from memory, time to save all this data on your storage device, and finally time to end the process from memory. From there your OS can resume its shutdown procedures. I think that's it, but I may have left out a few steps in between... :/

Nope, however ungraceful it is, Windows will force the application to exit if it can. It can lead to data loss in the open applications, but that's what one is essentially telling Windows to do if they set the shutdown time too short. Usually, Windows can kill applications, unless some driver-related hang occurs.

Thanks for all the replies guys, Ultima you say it could my my network card drivers could it still be that even if i have no problem shutting down when i don't use a torrent app?

1c3d0g could you please advise me how i can increase the shut-down time, just to cross that one off possible causes, thanks.

It might be because of the sheer number of connections that a torrent application creates that the driver/NIC can't handle (and thus, won't close properly), maybe?

The shutdown time can be changed using the registry entries mentioned here. Just follow the opposite directions (they say change from 20000 to 1000... go the other way -- from 20000 to maybe... 30000+). Again, I really doubt that this will solve your problem, but who knows though...

Well, I know that hitting the power key (on a motherboard configured to pass the call to Windows first, not just shut off power straight away) on my computer will not shut down MS Office properly. It will just pop up asking me if I want to save my open document (if there is one), and yes, this is a useful feature, but that's not very good if it just kills every other program (rather than telling them to close like the red X) except MS Office.. :(

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem on my pc.

I discovered, in my case it had to do with ZoneAlarm. Normally, when I use utorrent and I shut down my pc, it hangs during the 'saving your settings' fase and I have to turn it off manually (by turning the power off).

When I shutdown ZoneAlarm first, my pc shuts down normally.

ZoneAlarm and bittorrent don't like eachother. For instance, I couldn't use Azureus and ZoneAlarm simultaneously. Now there seems to be a problem with utorrent as well...

Some people hate ZoneAlarm for this. I don't. I think ZoneAlarm is quite save, like a firewall should be. And it has issues, like any other firewall.

I'm using ZoneAlarm 6.1.737.000 (free version) i would have never thought it was zone alarm but i can assure you that my PC never shits down when i use a bittorrent client it did how ever shut down fine after as Ini suggested i first closed Zone alarm. Me thinking its time to switch to another firewall :-( I'm thinking Outpost but in some reviews i have read they mentioned its fairly easy for virus spyware etc to shut it down anyone know if this is true?

I'm using ZoneAlarm and it doesn't do anything bad to torrents, i never exit µTorrent before shutting down, and i've never had any problems with it, at worst case windows shows 20sec (by default) countdown dialog asking what to do with µTorrent but in 20sec µTorrent exits itself.

Archived