Use Shell links to internally track files

Magendanz

It would be nice to be able to continue seeding torrents even after some of the files are moved or renamed. Shell links (a.k.a. shortcuts) can be used to easily accomplish this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_int/shell_int_programming/shortcuts/shortcut.asp

Currently, if users rename or relocate a file after download (often to prep for use with a media server or to sync with a portable media device), the shell will either object because the file is busy or the torrent will be broken the next time a request to seed is received.

You'll most likely gonna get the paranoid squad on your back if something like this is going to be implemented... :/

It's not clear to me why this would set off the paranoid squad, since the user is still in control of what torrents (and therefore files) are being shared. Internally, the Shell link just uses the NTFS file ID and a few other hints to keep track of the file when it's moved or renamed, and it has a built-in mechanism to seach for the file if it loses track. It's basically the same implementation that Apple uses with aliases.

When I was developing Windows XP on the Shell team, we finally got the Windows Media Player team to use Shell links to track files in their media library and the resulting database was much more robust. Admittedly, a file link for a torrent shouldn't need to be quite a persistant as one in a media library, but I believe the ultimate goal is to encourage seeding and this feature will allow users to continue to seed even after they move files out of the download folder and into their media library where it's queued for later viewing.

Related to this, it would be important for uTorrent to allow users to delete files they wouldn't normally queue for viewing (e.g. NFOs, ReadMes, samples) while continuing to seed the files that remain on their hard disk. This would also allow users to consume individual episodes of a season archive while continuing to seed the episodes that remain unviewed.

I'm new to utorrent, and I can't find the relocate function. I have v1.4. I downloaded a single file torrent (if that matters) and I renamed an moved it. I want to keep seeding the file, but utorrent doesn't find it, logical if it's moved an renamed. I can't find any option to relocate! Where should it be? Thanks in advance!

If you have renamed the files then you are gonna have to rename them back to what they were when you downloaded the files.

To relocate the files. Right click on the torrent in Utorrent, and click on Set Download Location. If Set Download Location is greyed out then stop the torrent and try again.

EDP: please don't hijack this thread, you can make your own. Thanks. :)

Sorry, but it's alway better to post in an existing thread than to start a new one... And this one is on the topic of relocating, net exactly my problem, but it fits better than in another thread.

Archived