[feature ideas] max achieved DL/UL speed & sfv check

torrentvcr

Hi,

First off, uTorrent is great, and for its size, its even more

amazing, so congrats uTorrent team for creating a hell of an app.

And for my feature ideas.

1. I download my torrents automatically through rss feeds and when I check my pc

there're ussualy always finished. Now it would be nice to see what the max achieved

download/upload speed has been for a certain torrent session. Yep I love the numbers,

but it can also be handy to see which torrent sites are slower.

2. It would be cool to have a sfv (crc checksum) checker inside uTorrent, most

downloads contain a .sfv file.

I love the option to move my completed downloads to a new folder, but I only want

them moved if the sfv check is good. And ofcourse if the sfv isnt good uTorrent

should alert me for the corrupted files.

And if there're moved to a new folder I dont mind that they're still seeding, but I

asume that this is whats happening already.

Well, thats my 2 cents worth

Cheers

#2 is what the torrent hash checks are for though. Auto hash check on finished may come in the future, for now you should run a manual hash check once it's done if you're worried. If it finds a problem it'll redownload corrupted sections. It's also much more accurate than a sfv, although false positives for sfv are so rare that probably doesn't matter.

If a hash check succeeds and the sfv fails, or vice versa, well, that's something to take up with the uploaders.

Indeed. 2 is a stupid idea. :P SFV performs one CRC32 check per file, BT performs one SHA-1 check per piece. Usually this means more checks with BT - unless you have lots of small files - and SHA-1 is more "reliable" than CRC32. The only reason SFVs are left in the release is because when they're fxp'd across topsites, etc. they need to be checked since the protocol has less of that built in to it.

As for 1, I like the idea. The "Download speed" field could say something like "180KB/s average, 230KB/s max". Cool. :P

Well I know CRC32 is a bit outdated, but you cant disregard the fact that a lot of releases contain a .sfv file. If im not

mistaken, the SHA-1 that BT uses is to ensure a correct transfer of data. But what happens if the data is correctly

transfered, but the data at the source was already corrupted.

I encountered this problem a few times already, tranfer was good, but still 1 or 2 files contained crc errors, in such a

case I dont want to move the completed downloads to a new folder.

A lot of ftp servers contain a sfv checker next to the checksums the ftp protocol has, so why cant a BT client contain one.

And yeah, avg DL/UL speed will be nice to have too :)

IMO torrent clients should not clean up after someone who creates a bad torrent, wasting everyone's time and bandwidth until a corrected version comes out. Maybe others would disagree, but a client's job is to ensure that the torrent contents transferred completely according to the torrent file's contents, and it's up to trackers to ban bad uploaders. But that's just how I see it.

IMO torrent clients should not clean up after someone who creates a bad torrent, wasting everyone's time and bandwidth until a corrected version comes out. Maybe others would disagree, but a client's job is to ensure that the torrent contents transferred completely according to the torrent file's contents, and it's up to trackers to ban bad uploaders. But that's just how I see it.

Yep youre right, it would be better to handle the checking part at the source, would be a nice feature for a tracker

or a seeder. But for the time being it would be nice if uTorrent does the checking for me before moving the files

to another folder, so I know for sure the files are ok.

and idle.newbie, execute an external app is a good solution, but is there also error handling back in uTorrent,

say if a crc check fails... Perhaps find another source :)

mm, perhaps its an idea to create a backend application where you can do various things, check and unpack.

mm, but it will be a bit hard continue seeding it then..

oh well,. crc checking will still be a cool feature for uTorrent :)

What if the SFV was already made from the corrupt data? Makes sense, if the initial seeder made it along with the release. uTorrent \ BT cant counter for every human error on the way, but SHA-1 does the trick at verifying correct data transfer :]

Yep you're right, but, yep, there's always a but :) if the seeder didnt create the SFV file, which

is always the case with official releases, then I first want to know if what I got of the torrent

network is ok, also I dont want to seed bad files.

There's 2 levels of checking, for the torrent transfer (SHA-1), but also is the transfered data

valid (SFV). Better would be if files are checked before somebody starts seeding them, but

thats more difficult to accomplish I think.

I had it a couple of times that the tranfer went ok, but still it gave crc errors while checking it

with a SFV file

Oh well, I think the max & avg DL/UP speed is easier to implement anyway, the otherthing

is more a luxury :)

well whether it's practical or not, you could always run an sfv checker from the Advanced tab of a torrent's properties. there's a Run On Complete field there

Yep, true, but it would be handy if uTorrent could move the files only if the sfv check is ok, I dont think there's any

feedback possibility from the external app back to uTorrent

Archived