Remember Column Sorts

Isochroma

Every time I start utorrent the columns are not sorted the way I left them, though their sizes are remembered. So I re-sort them manually. Many other programs I use remember their column sort orders.

So I'd like utorrent to remember the column sort orders for the main downloads list, and also all the tabs with sortable columns, and wherever else they are present.

The contents of the main download window are sorted as left, but the arrows are missing. Fix!

The contents of the tabs are NOT sorted, and their arrows are ALSO MISSING. Fix!

While the developers are off making new gee-gaws and doo-dads, the BASIC functions still don't work. Like, stuff that most people use on a daily basis, not some IP6 junk.

Featuritis.

Everyone loves to dump on Microsoft, but my Outlook Express REMEMBERS each column sort for EACH separate mail folder! And the little arrows are RESTORED next re-start. That is hi-quality software engineering. Such priorities seem lost on today's coders.

Now that is called usability. So I don't have to do the same damn cleanup every time it restarts, which annoys me no end. Somebody at MS was paying attention to the needs of their end users, like not some complex abstraction but something really simple yet important.

I picked today to request this 'feature' because somehow, after 12,132 builds (twelve thousand one hundred and thirty two, we are to believe), nobody has yet noticed that the damn columns don't show (and some don't remember) their sort orders...

You're not listening. Just because the indicator is gone does not mean the sorting is not the same. If it was a bug someone would have pointed that out, ESPECIALLY since b.12132 is the current 1.8.1 beta.

As it is, i'm looking at no less than four builds which, when boot up (1.8.1 beta, 1.8 release, 1.7.7, 1.7 beta) show the same sorting as when I left, so I ask again... what happens when you shift-click to set another secondary sort.

If you want to be a brute about it fine, open your settings.dat in the BFE http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=31306 browse to all the LV_* keys open them for editing, copy/paste them into here and I bet I can TELL you the order and size of all your columns. (that is if you can't make sense of http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=68

I already told you! The main downloads window sorts as it was after restart, but NO ARROW INDICATORS. BUG.

How about you worry about SECONDARY sort after you've fixed the PRIMARY SORT INDICATORS, AND THE PRIMARY SORT ON THE TABS???

Columns in the tabs do NOT remember their previous sort orders, and also DO NOT show indicator arrows after restart.

By the sounds of your arguments it seems like you're trying to re-bury your thinking process in sub-details without admitting the basic truth: the software not only forgets its column sort state (tabs only), but also totally forgets to restore previous UI indicators as they were left in the previous session (sort arrows in main download pane and tabs).

Without UI indicators restored, it is the rational user's conclusion that there is no sort, regardless of actual sort. Who knows if the secondary sort is remembered? I don't have the torrents to test it. Yes no maybe so, guesswork shouldn't be necessary after so many builds.

Duh! Your snapshot is of the main downloads window. READ CAREFULLY what I said in the last post!

The sort indicators do not restore themselves in the download window, and in the tabs neither the sorts themselves nor the indicators restore themselves.

I just called a friend to verify and his does the same thing. We're both running XP Pro SP2, nothing fancy.

Sloppy, incomplete coding. Inconsistent visual appearance. There is NO EXCUSE to not fix this bug and I will be posting every day until it is fully fixed to my satisfaction.

It doesn't work for me! Inconsistency means code problems. Quit trying to pretend like there's no issue and just tell me where the sorts are saved, file or registry?

In all the words you spent trying to pretend, you could have actually accomplished something.

Are you a coder on this app?

Sorting is saved properly upon restarts here. Secondary sort too. The only thing that happens is the arrow (and column highlighting) disappears on a restart, which is a non-issue.

So you'll have to be more explicit here. What version are you on? Which tabs aren't remembering their sorting?

Also, you can post all you want about this problem, but it doesn't mean anything is going to get fixed just because you demanded it. You don't pay us. Change your attitude.

... It DOES work for people. Stop telling someone who is trying to help you they're pretending. 1) moogly and I are not staff. 2) I ALREADY said the indicators have been a problem in the past. Stop being an impatient ungrateful person. 3) Read post #6 again. I told you exactly WHERE and WHAT to do to find out the settings you're looking for.

Thanks for listening.. or not.

Archived