Stuck at 28kB/s, can't forward my ports!

ManCannon

Right now I've got the modem/router my ISP gave me going into my linksys WRT54G which I've got set up with the HyperWRT custom firmware. I just set up a static IP, but I don't know if I set it up right. Should my DNS server be the same as what I enter into a browser to access my modem/routers settings? That doesn't seem right to me, but I don't know anything about this stuff.

My upload is set to unlimited, and I've got the yellow triangular caution sign. I've tried forwarding the ports a million times and I'm just not getting it. Once, when I eliminated the WRT54G I was able to forward the ports using just the modem/router my ISP gave me, but I have two computers that use the internet so I need the WRT54G to keep the other one connected.

I'd appreciate it if someone out there could shed some light on what exactly I'm doing wrong and what I should do to fix it.

EDIT: Okay, now I have the red circular caution sign :(.

Well, when I do an ipconfig, that was what I got for my DNS server. Is that not right? If I didn't have the correct DNS server listed when I set up my static IP, what would happen?

I set the IP to 192.168.1.213. Is that outside of the DCHP range for my router?

Also, I normally run my upload with a cap of about 45kB/s, but I've been trying with unlimited because I heard the new version limits download speed based on what you have your upload set to. My upload rarely ever comes close to maxing out anyway, and a lot of the time is just as poor as my download.

I've had good speeds before without my ports forwarded properly. Mostly I get them on private trackers, but once in a blue moon I get one on a public tracker that works alright. I've also noticed that the bigger a torrent it is, the more seeds and leechers, the slower it goes, which doesn't seem right at all.

The modem is a VisionNet. I use the firewall built into my WRT54G, but I've even tried with it turned off and that made no difference.

As long as you don't set an upload lower then 12 KB/s you wont see any download limiting (I don't remember exact rules but I'm pretty sure that's the high point). An incorrect DNS server would mean you wouldn't be able to visit websites by host name (ex: utorrent.com).

As long as you didn't touch the DHCP settings, your IPa is fine. On the Linksys go to the status page and look at your Internet IP address, what's the first half? DNS stuff is also listed there if you need.

The red circle, what's the message on mouse over?

"As long as you didn't touch the DHCP settings, your IPa is fine. On the Linksys go to the status page and look at your Internet IP address, what's the first half? DNS stuff is also listed there if you need."

It says my IP address is 10.0.0.11. But that's the IP of my Visionnet router/modem? That's not right is it?

You set up port forwarding in your modem also then right? 'cause with that address, you need to forward both devices. (there's an alternative, it's a bit more convoluted, depending on the method used). In the modem, either forward to the Linksys Internet IPa, or select it as the device, whichever it has you do. Also, when forwarding manually, disable UPnP in µTorrent.

What version WRT54G? (Check sticker on underside). Is the Visionnet a cable modem? If you look in the settings for connection type (on the modem), and it's on DHCP instead of PPPoA/PPPoE, then changing it to bridge and resetting the Linksys will mean you only have to pf your Linksys. If it's PPPoA/PPPoE login on the modem, you'll need to enter your login details on the Linksys. This is only if you want to make it so you only have to pf the Linksys, and isn't necessary unless the modem crashes or your speed is below expectation.

How would I put my router in bridge mode?

This is the page I see when I open up the configuration page:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Opioid/?action=view&current=ConfigurePage.jpg

And there's a "Bridge" option that brings this up:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Opioid/?action=view&current=Bridge.jpg

Do I just click submit on that?

Also, my WRT54G is ver. 2 and my Visionnet modem router is an ADSL W202.

So, I've tried both ways, and neither worked as expected. I tried forwarding the ports on the Visionnet to the WRT54G's IP (192.168.1.213) and they didn't open up.

Then I tried putting the Visionnet in Bridge mode, and I couldn't access the internet. It would say I was connected, and pages would try to load, but they'd never actually load. I tried using a static IP and using DHCP, but neither worked. I did notice that when I used DHCP, my router IP address and Default Gateway changed their numbering from the regular 192.168.1.1 to something new that started with 204.

I didn't enter any login details into the WRT54G because on the Visionnet's PPPoE/PPPoA page the only the username was filled in as GSPN and there was no password, so I figured that was just a default placeholder thing.

What am I doing wrong?

Okay, if I switch it to PPPoE on the WRT54G I'm required to enter login information, including a password, even though in the Visionnet settings there is no password listed. I tried just entering something anyway, and web pages still wouldn't load.

Reading your guide, the very first thing it mentions is "Get Your Login Information". I have no login information and have never had any.

For DSL, I think that's a pretty standard thing to need user/pass. If all else fails call up your ISP and tell them you're setting up a router and need the user/pass to login to your account on the linksys router... see what they say. They shouldn't require the modem they GAVE you to be the router you access the internet through.

Archived