Port forwarding dilemma

abacus

Hi, I am using utorrent 1.8 through a wireless Tp-Link router model# wr541 on a Vista machine. Although I was using port forwarding quite successfully before, about a week or two back it stopped working. I have tried reconfiguring it using portforward.com and as far as I can tell everything seems to be set up fine however when i check to see if the port is correctly forwarded through speed check in utorrent, i get a message saying the port appears to be closed. I have set up a stable IP for my pc. I have checked to make sure that Windows Firewall contains utorrent within its exception list. I also tried disabling Kaspersky and Windows Firewall to see if that would help. I've double and triple checked to make sure the correct port is being forwarded to the correct ip. I also called up my ISP to find out if any ports were being blocked by them. Frankly I'm at my wits end. any help?

What modules in Kaspersky are you using? It's known to do retarded things like blocking programs automatically for no reason, try uninstalling Kaspersky completely and re-installing (disabling does not work correctly). What's your network status and port forward check message? Anything change in your network setup or computer (including IP configuration and new software)? http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#What_do_the_Network_Status_lights_mean.3F

Thanks for the reply GTHK. Well I'm only using Kaspersky antivirus and though it does scan web traffic its set to 'prompt for action'. Also its not really generating any notices for its logs or anything like that. As far as my network goes, it seems to be connected perfectly fine.. no problems with internet whatsoever. The error i get when i try to check if the port is open is as follows: "Error! Port 55997 does not appear to be open." You know the odd thing is that port forwarding was working perfectly fine for me before and i cant really think of any changes which might have disrupted it. Any further help you could provide would be great.

oh sorry forgot to mention, my network icon in utorrent is displaying the yellow light in the beginning followed shortly by the red. actually i only reconfigured forwarding after i started having the problem. the router config seems to be working normally although i have my suspicions that its the router thats creating the problem somehow. hmm...

I'm not entirely sure what to do :/

No new programs or anything installed at the time? Including an update of µTorrent? I'm not aware of KAV causing any trouble.. double check the forwarding ports/addresses/protocols-(TCP and UDP), what about torrents? Do you have any connectivity issues with trackers (all torrents having red icons) and/or no downloading/uploading? You can also try a different port. When the icon turns red and you put your mouse over it, does it say a firewall or router is the problem?

well i did upgrade utorrent from 1.7.7 to 1.8 but after i started experiencing the problem in the hope that it might help. I also tried switching the port. Here's one interesting thing though. In 1.7.7 the torrents would begin working but then stop very soon. with 1.8, the torrents do complete, and at a fairly reasonable speed.. (roughly 150kB/s). as for the icon, yeah the mouseover does say that a firewall or router is causing the problem. Personally i suspect its the router - its definitely getting old and crusty now - but im not sure if a hardware fault could effect port forwarding?? that doesn't seem right...

anyways, thanks for your help GTHK.. appreciate it.

Archived