Is it necessary to apply the EventID4226 Patch to XP SP3?

slipkid

It's not necessary, reducing µTorrents net.max_halfopen is usually sufficient for half-open related issues. If you still get event ID 4226's then you can try patching it and that should take care of things. Raising µTorrents half-open limit is NOT RECOMMENDED, bad network hardware and Microsoft undoing the patch can cause connectivity issues.

THANKS for your input. OK think I get it, sounds like the patch is more of a last resort, only if you have specific problems, and after exploring other options. Unless I hear differently I'll assume that the patch works the same for SP3 as SP2 though (if it turns out I do have related issues). I wanted to ask about this up front first since I read about it in a detailed Utorrent guide on a site called "filesharefreak" and it was one of the things I WAS going to do as part of my install/config. Now it sounds like it may not be needed though. I'll start first just with the simple stuff and see how things work before I leap into anything more complicated like this.

Other speed guides aren't recommended here, some give bad (crap hardware crashing) settings. The two guides recommended here are the setup guide and speed troubleshooting thread:

http://www.utorrent.com/setup_guide.php

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992

If you have any other questions feel free to ask... after searching the forum and checking the helpfile :P

Press F1 in µTorrent to open the help file, if you don't have it on your computer it'll automatically download.

Thanks. One of the first things I did a few days ago was to printout the setup_guide you mentioned and I have that one highlighted and ready to go for my install.

I'm very anal about installing/configuring new software like this and I felt that it did not go into enough depth for me so I've continued searching and reading and I found a utorrent guide on the site "filesharefreak" that is amazing!! Explains every menu tab, every option, every parameter etc and makes recommendations. I've absorbed a lot but this question I asked here got stuck in my craw so to speak (they recommended the 4226 patch for SP2 as part of the initial config & I was wondering if that also applied to SP3 - I actually would have just asked that at filesharefreak but I could not even find a forum there). So I came back here since you guyz obviously know what's what...

Anyways, now after hearing you talk about it I will take that 4226 info from filesharefreak with a grain of salt. Maybe I don't even need to worry about that issue.

And I did skim through your second link above already but figured I really only need to hit that in detail after I have things running and need to do some debugging if things look amiss.

I'll try not to ask too many stupid questions up here without first trying to find answers via search & FAQs. Thanks again!

I've continued searching and reading and I found a utorrent guide on the site "filesharefreak" that is amazing!! Explains every menu tab, every option, every parameter etc and makes recommendations.

Sounds exactly like the user manual, which is available on the official download page as well (or the second link in my signature). Except that the user manual doesn't recommend the patch so much as it does leave it as a last resort option.

I've continued searching and reading and I found a utorrent guide on the site "filesharefreak" that is amazing!! Explains every menu tab, every option, every parameter etc and makes recommendations.

I am very glad that guide doesn't go nuts with settings and basically sticks with uTorrent's Speed Guide (CTRL+G) for speed settings.

...Or try my conservative settings guide in the 2nd link of my signature. It differs from uTorrent's Speed Guide mainly by using lower max connections.

Archived